• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

F-35b

Don Ferguson Jr.

I took these of F-35B few weeks ago at the MCAS Beaufort Air Show Marine Corps Air Station, South Carolina.
Don

untitled%201%20of%201-2_zpsmbtpzj3m.jpg

untitled%201%20of%201-3_zpsi7gczvel.jpg

untitled%201%20of%201_zps4d9wyypd.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

This 5th generation multipurpose fighter is amazingly agile. The marine version is almost virtical takeoff and landing, but can use regular short runways too. The 360 degree rotating rotors take up space so the weapons load it reduced but these are still formidable planes. It can neutralize enemy radar and its own radar signature is small. Anyway, it can project its power, launch weapons from a great distance agains air or ground targets and can be essentially undetectable in battle mode.

untitled%201%20of%201-3_zpsi7gczvel.jpg

I think they are going to build some 3.000 of the various models.

The Elbit heads up display helmet alone is a masterful achievement, giving 360 degrees of vision, radar mapping and weapons response, communication and battle management capability.

I wonder whether such advances will be built into semi-autonomous drones as the next masters of the sky, instead of a new generation of even more advanced fighters after the F-35 has been retired in 20 years time!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Send them to me and I will repost them or are they copyright of photobucket, which rhymes with fluckett!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Glad to see the birds!

These are wonderful machines. Amazing that these will be "out of date" in 20 years!

Old versions of cameras work fine for decades and decades! For planes, not so much, LOL! Right now there's no plane better!

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
These are wonderful machines. Amazing that these will be "out of date" in 20 years!

Certainly true for some planes Asher, but others not so much...

- The B52 entered service in 1952, and current plans suggest it could be flying until 2040!
- A similar set of dates for the Tu-95 Bear operated by Russia

Both pale into insignificance when compared to the USS Constitution though - launched in 1797, due to float again on the 23 July this year, and still a commissioned ship in the US Navy!

Suspect Photobucket won't be lasting that long.....

Regards,
Andrew.