• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gulf of Georgia Cannery

James Lemon

i-5WmMfXk-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

James,

This is an interesting composition. All the diagonal and energetic mass on the right could be removed and one would be left with another perfect square image with the chain railing and the bicycle as the key features of interest and the bird on the roof as a detail that adds a finish of life and fascination.

But you didn't crop. So why does it work?

Look to the left. There's one isolated blob of cloud that, by itself, is the counterweight to the entire massivity of elements on the right.

So I am impressed!

Still one minor criticism: the house on the left should be horizontal, perhaps.

Asher

James Lemon

James,

This is an interesting composition. All the diagonal and energetic mass on the right could be removed and one would be left with another perfect square image with the chain railing and the bicycle as the key features of interest and the bird on the roof as a detail that adds a finish of life and fascination.

But you didn't crop. So why does it work?

Look to the left. There's one isolated blob of cloud that, by itself, is the counterweight to the entire massivity of elements on the right.

So I am impressed!

Still one minor criticism: the house on the left should be horizontal, perhaps.

Asher

Than you for Your feedback Asher!
It is a rickety old building that is under a facelift. I took this hand held and never really noticed the roof until after I posted. I can always straighten it out by hanging it by a crooked window or building a parallelogram out of the frame.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Than you for Your feedback Asher!
It is a rickety old building that is under a facelift.....

I took this hand held and never really noticed the roof until after I posted

....... I can always straighten it out by hanging it by a crooked window or building a parallelogram out of the frame.

James,

That, I think is what the bird is already trying to do. A few more friends arriving and it will be perfect, LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I still think that tiny puff of cloud is balancing the picture. Cover it up and the picture does not work as well!

"That is a stunning realization to me of how important every element can be in what we might mistakenly consider merely a "snap", thinking that "This could be made anytime, if one simply returned to the same place any time!"

Asher

James Lemon

I still think that tiny puff of cloud is balancing the picture. Cover it up and the picture does not work as well!

"That is a stunning realization to me of how important every element can be in what we might mistakenly consider merely a "snap", thinking that "This could be made anytime, if one simply returned to the same place any time!"

Asher

Hi Asher

I agree! I think it allows the eye of the viewer to linger a bit longer and helps give the image a tad more balance

Best, regards
James