• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Meat

Bob Rogers

I was putting some meat on the smoker to cook this morning (leg of lamb and pork). The dog is always very attentive when there's meat cooking outside.

meat.jpg

Meat
Bob Rogers

I've been using my old Nikon Coolpix 5000 since my wife has the better camera at work. I'm trying to shoot more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Meat draft reply to Bill Rogers

I was putting some meat on the smoker to cook this morning (leg of lamb and pork). The dog is always very attentive when there's meat cooking outside.

meat.jpg

Meat
Bob Rogers

I've been using my old Nikon Coolpix 5000 since my wife has the better camera at work. I'm trying to shoot more.

Your camera is more than enough for the task at hand. My view is that this camera could even do weddings, LOL, as long as they just wanted an album and not 20"x24" portraits. This issue here is not any lack in the camera, rather it's too well drawn. It would be helpful, IMHO to use a wider aperture and then have much of the b.g., yes even the dog blurred very gently.

Meat and dog.jpg

Bob Rogers: Meat

Edited ADK

Here's the picture with softened edges and toned to give more of a feeling for the food.

Asher

Last edited:

Bob Rogers

Interesting Asher,

I like the way you brought out the texture in the meat. Is that just a levels / curves adjustment?

I think I like the dog better the way I had him though.

I've always been happy with the quality of the Coolpix 5000, particularly when the light is good. Not happy with the shutter lag though -- sometimes a scene comes and goes before the shutter fires. I'm thinking of taking it as my only camera on an upcoming trip to Chicago. Small and light.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting Asher,

I like the way you brought out the texture in the meat. Is that just a levels / curves adjustment?

I must admit total shame in doing the adjustment in iphoto. Blurred corners, increased contrast, changed color.

I think I like the dog better the way I had him though.

I agree! So obvious but that's what happens with global changes. I should redo it in Photoshop. It was just too hot to go to my studio as the air conditioning wasn't working! I'll try to redo it for you!

I've always been happy with the quality of the Coolpix 5000, particularly when the light is good. Not happy with the shutter lag though -- sometimes a scene comes and goes before the shutter fires. I'm thinking of taking it as my only camera on an upcoming trip to Chicago. Small and light.

Bob, it's a nice camera and shouldn't limit your creativity. Just learn to preempt those fast moments. So prefocus where the person is going to or where the ballet dancer is jumping. Get used to rhythm of what you photograph and you'll overcome shutter lag.

BTW, what software do you use? Also have you thought of having a softening filter on your camera. Some will just take away a touch of the documentary harshness of over-definition from the excellent Nikon lens.

Asher

Bob Rogers

BTW, what software do you use? Also have you thought of having a softening filter on your camera. Some will just take away a touch of the documentary harshness of over-definition from the excellent Nikon lens.

I use Photoshop 6 at home; cs4 design suite at work. I believe the cs4 license will let me put it on a computer at home, but I've been waiting for a new computer, which I just ordered a few minutes ago.

I've never considered a softening filter. Coming from a newspaper background, I think I've been seeking the "documentary harshness."

I do have the accessory lens holder, and also a multicoated filter that goes onto it. Maybe it's a B&W UV filter. I got that primarily so I could leave the camera on my car seat and allow it to go to "sleep" and not worry about things getting into the lens mechanism. I have the wc-e68 accessory too, which produces a wonderful wide angle view. There's a touch of distortion, but it's a very simple distortion. I guess the point of that is it would be easy to smudge the filter!

Here's one with the CP 5000 and the wc-e68, unedited. It's Frank Lloyd Wrights Marin County Civic Center:

marin.jpg

Bob Rogers: Marin County Civic Center

Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright

Enjoy,

Bob

fahim mohammed

Bob that's a nice moment. Guess the waiting is unbearable for the dog.

I was trying to figure out which is the leg of lamb and which is the pork!! :)

The best camera is the one you have with you.

Regards.