• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Lighthouse

Chris Calohan

9319831753_b8c901b511_o.jpg

Lighthouse at Point Sur, California: Chris Calohan​

Hi Chris,

Nice one. Personally I'd crop the foreground, it looks even more mysterious when it's just floating in the foggy clouds.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Nice one. Personally I'd crop the foreground, it looks even more mysterious when its just floating in the foggy clouds.

Nice shot Chris...
after reading Bart's comment:

Wow, you are so right. I looked at this and loved it but then read your comment and scrolled it up to hide the foreground and now it has both mystery and fantasy. Great suggestion! :)
Maggie

Cem_Usakligil

Well seen and captured Chris. I find both iterations worthy but I think Bart's advice was to crop even more so that there would be no foreground left at all. Btw, did you apply any filters or post processing? Thanks for sharing this.

Chris Calohan

I used a .6 GND to knock down the brightness of the sky so I could capture more of the structures, but I had it pretty high up with just a minimal differentiation.

I've cropped this image eight ways til Sunday and I find that cropping all the foreground just makes it buildings floating, which while interesting suggests nothing as to their origin. They could be on any hill, anywhere. For me, the connection to this specific place, overlooking the ocean, seated on a dismal plain sets the stage for plenty of intrigue and mystery.

Cem_Usakligil

But of course Chris, I didn't want to create the impression that you should have cropped or not. It is entirely up to you what to do with it. :)

Thanks for the info on the filters and the processing.