• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Otus..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ben,

'Character' can be added in post-processing by crippling the image quality that this lens produces. ;)

There are some pretty effective tools around for that purpose, like Topaz Labs Lens Effects plug-in, where one can even create creamy bokeh after the fact, with a choice of aperture blades and shapes, and allows to create or use a depthmap to add DOF blur.

Cheers,
Bart

What I want is the lens to be as perfect as possible for stitching. Then there will be no ghosts when using the Gigapan robot and lines will be perfectly straight in rectilinear projections.

I haven't as yet, found the perfect combination of lens and correction software to obtain superb architectural or technical images that are pretty near perfect, but I've only just realized how bad I am when trying to make technical pictures of a wine cabinet I'm building. Trouble is that I do most of my work handheld and while that's fine for distant landscapes, for 3 meters, it's much harder!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I haven't as yet, found the perfect combination of lens and correction software to obtain superb architectural or technical images that are pretty near perfect

Panorama tools or their front-end Hugin will make perfect stitches, correcting for lens distortion in the process. It is free software. The only problem is that it was written by people who believe that messages like "collapsing laplacian pyramids" are useful and what little help files there is are in the same vein. Also: it does mathematically correct computations, meaning they did not take shortcuts and it can bring a fairly powerful computer with lots of memory to its knees for some time.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How about including blocks of clear acrylic with fiduciary steel markers at corners to allow automatic correction of to exact rectilinear proportions. If someone would write the software I'd pay and we'd have a product to sell for OPF, LOL!

Asher