• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water Splash

IMG_0187_zpsjn9gdxju.jpg

Canon 80D 1/320 sec, f/5.6 55mm, ISO 16000 no flash

No real purpose, just testing new camera out, wanted to see how grainy 16000 ISO would be in light.
Was done with the help of a tripod and slow dripping water on the sink divider
at 7 frames a sec took over 50 pictures to get this one

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
IMG_0187_zpsjn9gdxju.jpg

Cody,

Congrats for your persistence!

Once one has done this, it's good to look to see where it can be used as a tool or perhaps a common motif for a photographic series.

What could this mean as a unifying feature for images of diverse objects!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I remember this: playing, testing my skills, understanding the camera, emulating, experimenting.
I still do it.

Each drop of knowledge adds to the reservoir, each comment takes us closer to our goal.

So, what do we do as an audience? What can we say?

Keep going, Cody. Listen and learn. Research the technicalities, play with the image, the idea, the product.

The capture of splashes is exciting and rewarding. It has the function of showing us what happens. There are variations, certainly, but once you have passes the pleasures of its capture it will be up to you to apply the skills to your own ideas.

That's when it gets exciting.

Xx

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Water is great but background looks a bit distorted with "grains". Are there any possibilities of reducing that noise?

Mario,

Thanks for arriving to our community and adding your feedback here. You've picked a technical issue that is part of my set of interests, namely having a skill to add an element of water splashing as part of the design and sense of energy of a picture, as in post #13 in this thread.

IMG_0187_zpsjn9gdxju.jpg

Concerning grain, Mario, it hardly ever bothers me. But it's no big issue to remove with modern software or to repeat with better lighting. After all, such technical shots already have to be "set up". I have made shots like this as part of serious compositions that I care a lot about. In that case, the lighting is a necessary part of the planning. It is so easy to increase the level of lighting and to use a camera with less noise overhead or else a better noise reduction system.

The key success here is the sharp dissection of what is a continuous moving disturbance of water hitting a surface. So in that technical respect, the shot is 100% successful. Application to further work requires merely imagination!

Asher