• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Canon 5d Mark II

Rachel Foster

Oh, right!

This time I'm going to do it right, though. I'm going to actually read the manual first. Well, at least five pages!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

There's too much to do! So, don't even bother to read the manual, charge the batteries or upgrade your software to take those pesky CR2 files. I'm happy to do all these for you and my 5D is so house-broken and you'll save on storage! The advantage of the original 5D is that the pixels are much larger and so won't show up diffraction issues! :)

Asher

Tim Armes

I hope you enjoy it! One of the first things that I did was get it into the studio, connect it to the computer and use live view to see what I'm shooting on the computer screen in real time . Fantastic.

Here's the result:

composition.jpg

More details here if you're interested:

http://www.timothyarmes.com/blog/?p=249

Tim

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Well if Tim's going to offer one of his first 5D2 shots (a spectacular view into my stomach on New Years Eve) I'll do the same.

Here's what i did with mine just after the battery was first charged. This is ISO 4000 at 12 deg F, handheld.

107413473.jpg

"Cloud Gate" by Anish Kapoor, Millennium Park, Chicago

Rachel Foster

Great shot!

I've no idea what I'm doing yet, but this is one of the very first shots out of the 5dII.

rose15.jpg

ISO 2000, f/5.6, 105 mm, 1/80 sec.

Andrew Rodney

Speaking of batteries, I ordered a spare, but was just informed it's backordered.

Can't find them anywhere! I'm real nervous with just one. That said, the new battery does appear to keep going and going. The image quality, at least those I've examined in Lightroom look astounding.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel and Andrew,
Just about every on-line camera supplier is out of stock, but I did a quick search on eBay. There a many available. You might want to check that out.
BTW Rachel, congrats on your new gem! Happy shooting!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Rachel and Andrew,
Just about every on-line camera supplier is out of stock, but I did a quick search on eBay. There a many available. You might want to check that out.
BTW Rachel, congrats on your new gem! Happy shooting!

Hi John
I would be very cautious with batteries bought from ebay or online not known distributors, many batteries could be false and badly done… even leaking inside its room in the camera…

Canon batteries do last amazingly long on my 1Ds3, I don't think that Canon did less good job with the new 5D!

This said, I must say that I DO have spare batteries (even 6 of them for the Sinar Hy6), but sometimes, on location, I don't have any power to recharge for 3 or 4 days…

At least, be carefull when buying…

my 2 cents…

Rachel Foster

Help!

I've downloaded a couple of updates (both canon and adobe) but I still can't open 5d II raw files in cs4. Help? It says file type not supported.

Rachel Foster

Yup. The camera says it has installed the correct version but then it says it needs a memory card with the info on it.

I am liking the idea of shooting jpeg more and more.

I know you are frustrated and kidding when you say that. You can't put all of that money out and then not be able to shoot RAW:) You must persevere.
James

John Sheehy

JPEG for a little while won't hurt. There are folks around who can figure this out more easily than me.

I don't know why Canon gives these gargantuan RAW files, but can't give an option for using high-quality JPEGs for the embedded images, instead of medium quality. Would probably add only about 10 to 20% to the size of the RAW file. That way, you could shoot RAW and get the HQ JPEG anyway.

I don't have the 5D2 yet, but I have the 50D, and it gives a 15.1MP medium-quality JPEG embedded in every RAW file.

I shoot RAW only, but I rarely ever look at anything but embedded JPEGs. RAW is just there for when I am going to do something with an image; not to browse or cull them.

Cem_Usakligil

I don't know why Canon gives these gargantuan RAW files, but can't give an option for using high-quality JPEGs for the embedded images, instead of medium quality. Would probably add only about 10 to 20% to the size of the RAW file. That way, you could shoot RAW and get the HQ JPEG anyway...
How is this different than shooting raw+jpeg simultaneously (which I would recommend Rachel to do anyway till she can get the raw converter and the firmware installed), except for delivering results in one file rather than in two separate ones? I also fear that extracting the HQ jpeg from the raw would be an issue to many people, with two files it is immediately useable.

Cheers,