• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Documentary - The Making Of Blurred vision

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In our search for beauty, we are distracted from the prize.

That, Tom, depends!

In this case, looking at the entire picture I see beauty in the involvement of the child. But it exists to in the sensual photograph To her right.

Only when we have no knowledge of the concept is there a reward, an envy, a connection with the truth.

What concept? Of the design/build/content of the camera's view? Or else, perhaps what was in the mind that formed the "intent" of the photographer. I would proffer that there is no "truth", just reactive feelings and subjective interpretations, some of which others share and so "resonate" and seem to coincide with some "truth" of the matter.

Beauty is not the truth. Beauty is less than reality.

Since beauty, (although often culturally influenced), is "in the eye of the beholder", it is defined the moment that "appreciation", ( of "beauty"), is felt. So in that instance it is the truth.

Notwithstanding that, beauty, although partly culturally ordained, is unlike the concept of "gram" or "cm" and is only "somewhat" universally standardized or appreciated.

Only the harshness of living, the denial of getting, the distance between us and what we want will give us a true knowledge of how we are.

I think you might mean, "who we are", although the original "how we are" could be an entertaining philosophical exercise! In either case, reaction to a photograph, always, includes who we are!

However, alleged "harshness of living" is not, always, in play! Here, below, for example, there is ample and obvious beauty. That is not only "a truth" but also "the truth" of this photograph.

_DSC3398 copy by Tom Dinning, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Jerome Marot

Probably true, Jerome.
But might we confuse interpretation with judgement?
Understanding is different to appreciation.

I'm not suggesting appreciation or judgement are invalid, just misunderstood and misused.

Would you prefer a viewer to simply like your images or to understand or interpret them?

Would you prefer a viewer to place judgement or create conversation?

Would you prefer a viewer to question your composition or discuss the context?

Would you prefer to know about the camera and setting or the circumstances of an image?

Would you prefer to discuss the photographers life or his images?

One way is simple the other is complex.

One way tells us about the nature of the photograph, the other tells us about the viewer.

I am still not really sure I follow you. In any case, you do not seem to respond when people (me, above) try to create conversation and discuss the context and circumstances of your images. Let me ask again: so you travelled to Italy?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I very much like the concept of the first posted set and the individual images with the exception of the rose shot which doesn't seem to fit. These images could be printed huge and shown in a gallery. There are too many additional images following to comment on.

Hi Pete.
We haven't met. Nice to meet you.

In response you your post:

I don't do 'series' or expect any one image to connect to another. That will only be your expectation. These are rather random shots from a 'series' of some thousands I took over a 2 month holiday in Italy with Christine.

Each shot is a personal statement of who I am and what I see. They require no appraisal, criticism or alteration. They are what they are.

The only 'gallery' they get displayed in is in my own house. You are welcome to visit but the conversation will not be about photographs. Everyone who visits knows they can only comment on the photos on the wall if they also comment on my carpet and the color of my kitchen.

Feel free to comment on anything as long as you don't tell me you like it. I don't care if you do. It's not why I photograph. To me, that's akin to a woman dressing to be raped.

See how easy I am to get on with.

Cheers
Tom

Andy brown

Tom, I haven't even visited you yet but I imagine I'll love your carpet, your kids and your wife. The colour of the kitchen is daft.

Some bloody good pics here.
Forgive me but it's what I do. Give praise and stuff.
Sometimes your images are so good, I just skip past them. The one Asher just pointed out is ridiculously awesome. I knew that when I first saw it but haven't been very talkative lately so I kept shtumm.

Andy brown

Getting back to some of the other stuff that's been talked about in this thread.
I do think this is an important forum. It's important for the few of us who use it regularly.
It's a great place to view photos because there is almost no junk posting. Virtually everything is worthwhile in some degree and almost always technically proficient at the very least.
It's a place where intelligence tends to predominate (we use big words and everything).
I post here to get the odd reaction. An affirmation (of any kind) is earned here not given away like a hundred instagram likes and opinions are actually considered and mostly useful.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andy,

Getting back to some of the other stuff that's been talked about in this thread.
I do think this is an important forum. It's important for the few of us who use it regularly.
It's a great place to view photos because there is almost no junk posting. Virtually everything is worthwhile in some degree and almost always technically proficient at the very least.
It's a place where intelligence tends to predominate (we use big words and everything).
I post here to get the odd reaction. An affirmation (of any kind) is earned here not given away like a hundred instagram likes and opinions are actually considered and mostly useful.

Well said.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Tom,

It doesn't matter what you assert as your intention and how much you do not look for or seek comment, only, as far as I am concerned, how your work impacts others here

Same with the woman who claims she is not
inviting attention when she dresses provocatively
and saunters by a line of busy food trucks.​

Take this picture.

_DSF3074 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

It is not a snap, but a studiously composed, disciplined and critically defined composition. It lacks obvious "beauty". There are no human feelings embedded here. Worse it defiantly cuts major elements!

Your unlikely window excludes and isolates, creating a dynamic opposition. All from what is so mundane: a bicycle on the left and a car on the right outside a bland store with harsh angular light.

You cannot, then, realistically ask for the picture not to be "liked", reacted to, torn apart or hoped to be experienced in any of a myriad of ways.

This is no different from one wanting to engage,
follow, smile, photograph or even touch or caress
that woman, as she creates a wave of admiration
and movement, as she works her way through the
crowd with a thin silk fabric allowing her beauty
to radiate and astonish everyone in her path.​

You are one annoying and arrogant fellow! However, beneath that baggage, I do like you but I pay a price and it's painful.

At least in the past week, you have generated not a single note to me as folk driven to tears walk away from this forum. For that I am grateful. At last folk are separating your technically and emotionally proficient photography from your socially haughty claimed detachment and disdain!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Take this picture.

It is not a snap, but a studiously composed and critically defined composition. It defiantly cuts major elements and so creates a sense of movement and dynamic opposition in a drawing of what is so unrelated: a couple of vehicles outside and ordinary store with a common shadow.

Tom

So that personal observation on your photograph, is in my way of seeing things exactly the same as me or others making statements such as "I enjoy these images".

Your demeaner may prefer the more verbose response (that appears to be all that you will accept). However I will allow you to deem it a privilege to have someone at my photographic level of expertise at creating images with such a "commonality and blandness" - to take precious time from my busy daily activities - to look at your photos, and find some value amidst the thousands of pics that I am inundated with, on my Instagram and Facebook feeds as well as the dozen photo forums I visit each day - - - and at least write a short note of appreciation.

All the best Tom. You are definitely the Energizer Bunny. LOL

------

Asher Kelman

Robert Watcher said:
- - - and at least write a short note of appreciation.

------

Tom,

Robert is correct! Even in Darwin, at the underbelly of the planet, if someone says the beer and beef you serve is refreshing and appreciated, you would thank them and not be a common Fock! The simple social responses is "Thanks mate! Just let me get some too!"

Try to be nice! There are no fancy champagne glasses here to throw on the floor or money tables in some "temple" to be overturned.

I take all my meds, you do the same!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I am still not really sure I follow you. In any case, you do not seem to respond when people (me, above) try to create conversation and discuss the context and circumstances of your images. Let me ask again: so you travelled to Italy?

Sorry, Jerome. I thought it was a rhetorical question. It's like when Christine asks me "Did you do that?"when she knows full well I did, even if I deny it, which I usually do, at which point she calls me a liar, which I know I am, even when I know she knows I am.

Yes, I did go to Italy, via Zurich. It's one of many trips I have done to my next best country. I was there last year as well.

As you might have gathered, I'm a city person. Nothing pleases me more than being anonymous in a crowd of strangers. It is the most peaceful feeling of being alone.

Please feel free to enjoy what you see. I know I enjoyed the experience.

Cheers
Tom

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thanks Robert.

'commonality and blandness' is a statement of my opinion as is yours for 'liking' someone elses. Neither have a sense of rejection, only acknowledgement.

These days I'm content to look at something that hasn't been blinged out of existence or corrupted with rules and conformity to the purge of internet memes.

I am sure you are a busy man. That's a good thing, but you must admit that its none of my business what you do with your time, nor would you seek praise from me for using it as you do.

Mind you, if I was on fire and you took the time out to piss on me, I'd be eternally grateful.

Like you, Robert, I too have been down the path of 'professionalism' whatever that means. I see in your wedding and portrait photos a lot of what others, including myself, have done and are still doing. They provide a service to those who demand certain things from their photographer. Photographers need to eat as well.

Your street portraits of Nicaragua also show signs of the 'professional' in you. Photographs of interesting people are often interesting. Its possibly in our nature to wonder who they are. Paul Theroux did this in his travels. He didn't take pictures. He wrote about them.

I can see from your biography you have enjoyed the journey. I'm sure it will continue. Ours are different journeys to the same point. We might ask of each other: "What comes next?"

I would enjoy a conversation on your plans for whatever future you have.

cheers
Tom

Tom

So that personal observation on your photograph, is in my way of seeing things exactly the same as me or others making statements such as "I enjoy these images".

Your demeaner may prefer the more verbose response (that appears to be all that you will accept). However I will allow you to deem it a privilege to have someone at my photographic level of expertise at creating images with such a "commonality and blandness" - to take precious time from my busy daily activities - to look at your photos, and find some value amidst the thousands of pics that I am inundated with, on my Instagram and Facebook feeds as well as the dozen photo forums I visit each day - - - and at least write a short note of appreciation.

------

Jerome Marot

Yes, I did go to Italy, via Zurich. It's one of many trips I have done to my next best country. I was there last year as well.

As you might have gathered, I'm a city person. Nothing pleases me more than being anonymous in a crowd of strangers. It is the most peaceful feeling of being alone.

Please feel free to enjoy what you see. I know I enjoyed the experience.

I enjoy the pictures, but I wonder why Italy. Not that there is anything wrong with Italy, but Europe is full of interesting countries to visit and, once you have travelled all the way from Australia to Europe, they are all there to be enjoyed.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Yes, I did go to Italy, via Zurich.

My first ever trip to Europe (probably in about 1965) was to Zurich, to attend a conference on air transport telecommunication. I found Zurich to be charming, clean, well-organized, and wholly bereft of any sense of humor.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

SIENA 2016

_DSF3747 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Well Tom,

This took me to a different place......Venice! Typically the more economical hotels my wife books are a mile from the drop of by the Water taxi from the Airport. This is often my path, schlepping my bloody case and hoping the cheap wheels don't snap off!

As to the next one, folk might think I am gay for my affinity to woman's fashions and my tendency to scan through the windows of a hair salon to see the attention and the constant banter the women get!

........and that beauty poster, without shame, I admit I love it! I take it in and approach it as if it was a tree full of spring blossom!

_DSF3772 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Now look at that picture again and ask what on earth is that dirty black wall stain doing for the picture? I tell you what. I think it is needed to counter the seemingly "bland" hair styling element on the left with the powerful bright sensual poster in the middle and it does that with aplomb.

Well crafted and bringing some of the mixture of bland and glitter that makes up life we trade through!

Asher