• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nyc, ny

Steven Sinski

in the evening hours in lower Manhattan

_DS56001_DxO-XL.jpg

Nikon NIKON D500
Lens- AF-S VR DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4.0E ED
ISO- 16000
Focal Length- 46.0 mm (69.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/5.6
Exposure Time- 0.00625s (1/160)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
in the evening hours in lower Manhattan

_DS56001_DxO-XL.jpg

Nikon NIKON D500
ISO- 16000
Aperture- f/5.6

Very well exposed, Steven, and you have caught the atmosphere. This. is part of what makes very big cities so livable when there are people ready to feed us even at ungodly hours!

Asher

Hello Steven,

I would like to say that the atmosphere which is part of the picture is really focused properly. Good Exposure. How you managed to do this?

Asher Kelman

Hello Steven,

I would like to say that the atmosphere which is part of the picture is really focused properly. Good Exposure. How you managed to do this?

May I say, how right you are about the atmosphere. This is generated by the darkness surrounding the lit stand in a New York night! The steam of the cooking obfuscates the venders face and shows activity. The light from the cart illuminates the face of the person getting his snack!

A camera crew for a movie couldn't do better.

What is required here is years of practice, deciding what is a treasure not to be missed and then discovering the angles from which this shot must be taken.

So practice and post!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Commercial enterprise.
Which country flies it's flag so much?
North Korea possibly?
Who eats at such places?
Is SHISH THE FOOD? Is that like a kebab?
What identifying feature says this is NY?
That's paving on the foot path? Is this a quiet neighborhood?
I fear the worst for the buyer. Botulinum has found a home.
Keep warm?

Asher Kelman

Commercial enterprise.
Which country flies it's flag so much?
North Korea possibly?
Who eats at such places?
Is SHISH THE FOOD? Is that like a kebab?
What identifying feature says this is NY?
That's paving on the foot path? Is this a quiet neighborhood?
I fear the worst for the buyer. Botulinum has found a home.
Keep warm?

Yes,, folk like the flag. It represents the constitution and loyalty tonit, just like a crucifix is valued by Christians. Likely as not this fellow is an Arab and recognizably non-European. The flag is used here to tell the folks, I am one of the really good guys in your diverse city. It's New York because Steven wrote, "Manhattan", which is a huge Island and major part of New York City.

The stand is regularly checked for strict hygiene by the City. It's safe as eating at a major restaurant or your wife's cooking!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Yes,, folk like the flag. It represents the constitution and loyalty tonit, just like a crucifix is valued by Christians. Likely as not this fellow is an Arab and recognizably non-European. The flag is used here to tell the folks, I am one of the really good guys in your diverse city. It's New York because Steven wrote, "Manhattan", which is a huge Island and major part of New York City.

The stand is regularly checked for strict hygiene by the City. It's safe as eating at a major restaurant or your wife's cooking!

Asher

Thanks Ash.
The questions were rhetorical. I was merely illustrating what passes as thoughts when I viewed the image.
As for Christine's cooking, there is a warning: seek medical assistance if consumed.
She does not yet know how to turn on the stove and has the credentials to burn water. I cook everything.

Antonio Correia

Hi Steven!

_DS56001_DxO-XL.jpg

Nikon NIKON D500
ISO- 16000
Aperture- f/5.6

Another nice shot from a night scene ! :)

Steven Sinski

originally being a born New Yorker I have had many a meal off of these carts from the '60s onward. the atmosphere, which you really have no knowledge of, just clicked. I used to do work down in this particular area when I was young. I've done work in Sydney, Brisbane and Beerwah. one persons plague is anothers palatable moment. hey, I love White Castle. and I do survive.

I can guarantee the individual working that cart did not originate in the US. but I can also say he feels better off where he is now.

it works on many levels. time, season, lighting, aroma, the entire scene ties together. but probable not from someone who hasn't spent the time there.