• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

crazy in love

Probably not for everyone's taste :D

Model : Nadine
Assistant : Wendy Appelman
Photographer : Frank Doorhof

Nadine_22_Januari_2010__133v2.jpg

Nadine_22_Januari_2010__94v2.jpg

Nadine_22_Januari_2010__112v2.jpg

Nadine_22_Januari_2010__126v2.jpg

Greetings,
Frank

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Probably not for everyone's taste :D

Model : Nadine
Assistant : Wendy Appelman
Photographer : Frank Doorhof

Frank Doorhoff: Crazy in Love

Well, Frank,

If we try to please everyone we'd have no edge to out work and produce beauty with no argument or meaning or just peasant sunsets or placid mush. I think that images can be also energizing and this one works like that. You have my hi five on Nadine's crazy in love images!

I like the rawness of the pictures and the way you gentle roll of the transition to shadows. I do have an issue with the edge sharpness and slight metallic sheen of the lips as I think this is one of those cases where what is just right in editing is 15% too much when one looks back at the picture much later.

Another very minor niggling point, (I have to point it out!), that's readily corrected is the blueness of the hands and the prominent veins. If that is going to be part of the theme then it should be consistent and we could have full neck veins popping too! Some folks veins just fill up quickly when the hands are down. I'd just match the tonalities and the veins would vanish.

I'm delighted to see this as it gives the Nadine a chance to let out some of her force and aggressiveness in a fun way.

I hope you will not rest here but rather continue to work this idea. At the very least, I'll be pleased and a fan of one!

Asher

Nice work

I like the lighting and concept. What about smearing the words to make them look less controlled, more crazy? Also might want to make the strategic hand placement look a bit less on purpose, the arms can be extended and still block the view of the breasts .

Charlotte Thompson

Frank

I always look at your work- always
I love your light work so much

this is so very creative

and the red smear of love-
is "so right on"

Charlotte-

Very nice! The third 'Cry to Heaven' (or Hell) shot is forced with the hands on the breasts. She should have bared them for that shot, making a good contrast with the others.

Rachel Foster

Scary stuff! Lighting is exquisite, as is the quality of the image (sharpness, dof, all that). It might take some getting used to but it is definitely an arresting series of images.

Who cares if it's to everyone's taste? If you try to please everyone, you become....well, not McDonald's, but maybe McPhotographer's?

JimCollum

pro member
I like the series! (i like edgy)

#3 doesn't fit for me as well though.. it seems the others have a containment about them.. feelings suppressed. This adds a great deal of emotional tension to the images. #3 has released that.. with the feeling of things being 'over'. The other's leave me wanting more.

closest I can think is that tension between characters in successful TV series.. that goes on season after season.. but once that tension has been resolved... it's not quite as interesting.

I actually always aim for one shot, so they should be seen as different approaches for that one shot.
Thanks so much for the comments, really appreciatie it.

Tasha Pinheiro

Frank,

I absolutely adore all four images, but I find myself drawn most to number one and number three. Number one feels like she is bottling up all the madness and finally lets it out in number three.

Nadine_22_Januari_2010__112v2.jpg

Gorgeous, gorgeous photographs. And great model!

Though my own photos don't exactly show it, I love photography thats dark and edgy. It speaks to me much more than anything else. And these photographs truly speak to me.

Tasha

I love these ones, these shadows gives so much to the model's anatomy, defining the lines. But I just got a bit "disappointed" by the writings, looks a bit childish, doesn't express any passion nor love to me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love these ones, these shadows gives so much to the model's anatomy, defining the lines. But I just got a bit "disappointed" by the writings, looks a bit childish, doesn't express any passion nor love to me.

How about the mouth? Surely you are satisfied that Frank did a good job there? Actually Frank takes as much care in choosing the makeup artist as the model. That's one thing I learned from him. The makeup artist is just about the most important person to have first for your shoot! Models, BTW, can be far more easily replaced. Great makeup artists are less commonly found and hence more valuable!

Asher

One has to remember/realize that there is NO shot out there that will please 100% of the crowd, there is ALWAYS SOMETHING that SOMEONE ELSE would have done differently :D

How about the mouth? Surely you are satisfied that Frank did a good job there? Actually Frank takes as much care in choosing the makeup artist as the model. That's one thing I learned from him. The makeup artist is just about the most important person to have first for your shoot! Models, BTW, can be far more easily replaced. Great makeup artists are less commonly found and hence more valuable!

Asher

It's just a question about "typography" I'd say. There is a sort of haste, passion, loud expression in these shots that the red typo seems too much reflective, thoughtful. I must make a scenario in my mind about photos in general, and I cannot see her lover (or her if she's very skilful in front of a mirror) write a such peaceful/childish handwriting with such words. It doesn't mean to me that it's wrong (I have no skills in photography to tell anybody what wrong or right) but I just say that considering the meaning of it all, it doesn't match to me!

The mouth is violently painted, the words are not (that's the main difference)

It was not my intention here to criticize the work of any make-up artist. My apologies if it wasn't clear

One has to remember/realize that there is NO shot out there that will please 100% of the crowd, there is ALWAYS SOMETHING that SOMEONE ELSE would have done differently :D

If you let me do that, It will be a disaster :). It's no question of "if I were you". I'm not you, Considering the quality of your work, I'll never be. It was just a question of matching the intent. There are such beautiful shot that , to me, It's a bit spoiling the intent of "crazy"; she says "crazy in love" in a manner - typo - that is not crazy. That's all. It's a point of view of a viewer not a point of view of a photographer.