• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D mark 2 Focus screen

Mark Hampton

Hi Hi

I will be picking up a TE-S 90mm this weekend - Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with changing the focus screen - what screen would you use?

cheers in advance

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mark,

I have switched to using liveview for for my 24mm TSE and now like it so much that I have a Marshall LCD screen in the hot shoe connected by HDMI cable. With that, one can use a calculated image which has red lines around edges of anything in focus. It seems to work very well.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

I have switched to using liveview for for my 24mm TSE and now like it so much that I have a Marshall LCD screen in the hot shoe connected by HDMI cable. With that, one can use a calculated image which has red lines around edges of anything in focus. It seems to work very well.

Asher

Asher,

I had a look at the marshall LCDs - cracking idea - may be better than getting a laptop...

thanks for that !! - although my wife may not thank you

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I had a look at the marshall LCDs - cracking idea - may be better than getting a laptop...

thanks for that !! - although my wife may not thank you

Look at the battery powered version. I take the battery pack out when its in my bag so as to prevent accidentally leaving the switch "on" or it getting knocked "on" and then having no power when you need it!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Mark,

I have switched to using liveview for for my 24mm TSE and now like it so much that I have a Marshall LCD screen in the hot shoe connected by HDMI cable.

We are looking into getting a composite video (not HDMI) Marshall monitor for use on our 40D.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Hi

I will be picking up a TE-S 90mm this weekend - Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with changing the focus screen - what screen would you use?

Hi Mark,

The TS-E 90mm is a very nice lens, it is even used for close-up photography with an extender or close-up rings. It is of a simple optical design, so it's compact and light, and it has good contrast and sharpness.

I use the '-S' type of screen (Ec-S for the model 1 series, Ef-S for 40D & 50D, Eg-S for the 5D2) in my camera and I never change it, even for lenses with less than f/2.8 aperture. For critical focus I double check with Live view anyway. Shooting tethered or with an LCD screen is more bulky, but obviously also works very fine.

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

20101113_0897.jpg

Extract.Core.Sample - M Hampton

Bart / Asher

I have been using this lens for a day or so... the flexablity it gives takes the 35mm FF camera to another level - its more like a land camera... why are all lens not made like this - or why are sensors fixed !

using live at the moment.. works fine

cheers

Asher Kelman

20101113_0897.jpg

Extract.Core.Sample - M Hampton

Bart / Asher

I have been using this lens for a day or so... the flexablity it gives takes the 35mm FF camera to another level - its more like a land camera... why are all lens not made like this - or why are sensors fixed !

Mark,

You're so right! Why on earth are sensors still fixed? That's something Canon could do. They have no issue vibrating the sensor. In fact, they could move it sideways and tilt it too!

Asher

John Wolf

Hi Hi

cheers in advance

I use Canon Eg-S screen with the 5DII. And I have the 90 T/S. Focusing is pretty good and changing screens is a minor procedure. The Eg-S is specifically for manual focusing with lenses faster than f4.

The folks above who recommend LiveView are correct. If you are shooting on a tripod it can't be beat.

John

Mark Hampton

I use Canon Eg-S screen with the 5DII. And I have the 90 T/S. Focusing is pretty good and changing screens is a minor procedure. The Eg-S is specifically for manual focusing with lenses faster than f4.

The folks above who recommend LiveView are correct. If you are shooting on a tripod it can't be beat.

John

John,

thanks for the info Eg-S ... I think I will get yin... although blurry pictures are all the rage in Scotland at the moment !

cheers