• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon EOS-1D X

Doug Kerr

Doug Kerr

DPR has an extensive overview of the EOS-1D X, with input from Chuck Westfall of Canon, here:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview

Rob Galbraith's coverage is here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-12012

Quick specs are:

Body: generally like 1D Mk IV but larger and heavier
Sensor size: FF 35 (36 x 24 mm)
Sensor: 18 Ms (megasensels)
Sensel pitch: 6.95 um
Native image size: 18 Mpx
Basic ISO sensitivity: 100-51,200 (I assume REI)
Expanded ISO sentitivty: 50-204,000
Frame rate: 12 fr/s (with continuing AF), 14 fr/s (mirror lock up, no continuing AF)
AF points: 61
Separate exposure metering sensor
Media: 2 x CF card
Processors: 2 x DIGIC 5+ plus 1 x DIGIC 4 (for AF system)
Shutter durability: 400k operations
Viewfinder: 0.76 x (I assume with a 50 mm lens aboard), 100% coverage
Display: 1.04 Mdot (350 Mpx)
US estimated retail price:USD 6800.00.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

A fascinating feature is reported by Rob Galbraith's piece on the EOS-1D X:

Multiple exposure mode Up to nine individual exposures can be combined, with a buffet of frame blending options including four different compositing methods - Additive, Average, Bright and Dark - and two different ways of capturing the source frames.

The first way involves shooting one frame at a time, watching the blended image build to completion on the rear LCD as each new frame is shot. You can undo the last frame and retake it, you can optionally use a previously-captured RAW frame as your starting point for the multiple exposure and you can choose to save each individual frame as well as the composite frame to the memory card.

The second way is simpler: shoot a nine-frame continuous burst at up to 12fps and the EOS-1DX will blend them. For classic multiple exposure sports pictures, such as a pitcher winding up to release the ball, this multiple exposure variant is meant to do all the processing work and leave the shooting to you.​

I assume that one of the possible objectives of this mode is enhancement of the camera's effective dynamic range.

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Didn't see your post Doug and just posted it in the breaking news, sorry!

IMO, Canon have made a camera truly to be proud of. A few things that are worrying me, the 5 month waiting till release, very very uncanon and makes me wonder why, secondly the price is high, higher in the UK than the 1Ds3 has been for the past two years and you bet the RRP won't drop for a good long while. As this has been an amalgamation of the 1D and 1Ds this means that the basic price of admittion to the current canon pro cameras (and their pro AF) has just gone up - a lot.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ben,

Didn't see your post Doug and just posted it in the breaking news, sorry!
Not a problem - I enjoyed your take on it.

IMO, Canon have made a camera truly to be proud of. A few things that are worrying me, the 5 month waiting till release, very very uncanon and makes me wonder why, secondly the price is high, higher in the UK than the 1Ds3 has been for the past two years and you bet the RRP won't drop for a good long while. As this has been an amalgamation of the 1D and 1Ds this means that the basic price of admittion to the current canon pro cameras (and their pro AF) has just gone up - a lot.
Well, it is certainly a very interesting machine!

I have an idea that the new AF may be quite spectacular. It has its own processor (DIGIC 4), and takes into account info from the metering sensor.

I personally do not think we will be seeing any more EOS bodies with the so-called "1.3 X" sensor size (which of course means 77% of the "FF35" dimensions). (We call that size here - along with the "1.6x size" - "APS-X": not any size from the APS system.)

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Read through it, the thing which jumps out at me the most is the new paradigm for metering. Would be fascinating to see how well it works in the real world, especially the ETTL II metering using face recognition. As a wedding shooter it would be incredible, but only if it was predictably consistent.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Thanks for sharing that, it's more informative than the speculations that occupy many forums.

The catch is due to Hans Jørgensgaard. He was a co-conspirator in the big investigation of the behavior of the Canon AF system I was involved in earlier this year. He is an ace Canon (and other) patent watcher, and a very insightful "reverse engineer".

Best regards,

Doug

Daniel Browning

A few things that are worrying me, the 5 month waiting till release, very very uncanon and makes me wonder why,

I too wonder. I don't know of any other time where Canon announced 5 months in advance for camera bodies, maybe 3 months max if I recall correctly. Lenses are another story. All the new super-teles have had about a year between announcement and release, and there was a significant delay even before the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

I wonder if Canon thinks that by announcing the camera so early, fewer people will buy a Nikon in the mean time. But it also means that fewer people will buy a 1DIV or 1Ds3 in the mean time, so perhaps Canon feels the former outweigh the latter.

Another possibility may be that Canon is afraid of Nikon's upcoming pro body (perhaps called a "D4"). By announcing their model first, they avoid the uncomfortable embarrassment of having "a hard act to follow."

Or perhaps they just realized that their customers would love to have as much information as early as possible, so they are putting profit and everything else on the back burner to serve their customers first. And also, hell froze over and pigs are flying.