• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A paramotor sighting

Doug Kerr

Yesterday Carla came home from a grocery shopping expedition and called for me to come outside to see "somebody flying overhead".

It turns out that it was a fellow flying a powered paraglider (often called a "paramotor", although strictly speaking, that only refers to the frame and engine rig).

I had Carla go to my office and bring me my Panasonic FZ-1000 (I myself move a little slowly these days owing to the effects of spinal stenosis). Here is the best shot I was able to get:

Q01178-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Powered paraglider over the Sacramento Mountain foothills

Of course the greatest focal length I had available was 400 mm ff35 equivalent, so the subject was pretty small in the frame. The image above is a 25% × 44% crop, presented here downsized to about 61% of original camera resolution.

I don't know who the flyer is or any details of his machine.

The wing of a powered paraglider is a variation of the Rogallo wing, developed by NASA engineer Francis Rogallo jointly with his wife, Gertrude.

The engines are typically air-cooled one- or two-cylinder two stroke machines.

The paramotor is typically strapped to the pilot's back, but there is also a small seat and often some kind of footrest, often just a bar.

I have learned that typically a powered paraglider is launched by the pilot with little or even no assistance. With the engine running at slow speed, the pilot runs along the ground with the wing behind. Soon the wind rises off the ground, and when it is high enough the engine is gradually throttled up, the whole things lifts off, and the pilot settles into the seat and puts his feet on the footrest bar (if there is one).

Steering is done by pulling on lines (with wood toggles to grip) that deform the tips of the wing and cause a yaw torque on the wing.

It looks like great fun.

That's all we know here.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hey, Dougy.
Back in the sixties when the Moyse family were playing around with the Rogallo wing as a means of gliding I saw a similar site at Stanwell Park were Bill Moyse did most of his experimenting. Back then there was no motor, just the balance between drag, lift, gravity and some finger crossing.
Being young and stupid I decided it was for me.
I did wait until they had sorted out a few problems; like crashing, before I took it upon myself to give it a go.
I spent 20 years seeing the ground from another perspective in what seemed total silence, although the air flow at 15+ knots over non rip cloth does make a bit of white noise.
Those days it was hang gliding. Motors came just as I was leaving the sport. Parachutes followed.
It's amazing what you can see from 5000 feet without a floor to stand on.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Hey, Dougy.
Back in the sixties when the Moyse family were playing around with the Rogallo wing as a means of gliding I saw a similar site at Stanwell Park were Bill Moyse did most of his experimenting. Back then there was no motor, just the balance between drag, lift, gravity and some finger crossing.
Being young and stupid I decided it was for me.
I did wait until they had sorted out a few problems; like crashing, before I took it upon myself to give it a go.
I spent 20 years seeing the ground from another perspective in what seemed total silence, although the air flow at 15+ knots over non rip cloth does make a bit of white noise.
Those days it was hang gliding. Motors came just as I was leaving the sport. Parachutes followed.
It's amazing what you can see from 5000 feet without a floor to stand on.

Sounds wondrous. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug