• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Inner Space Meets Outer Space

Tony Britton

When I last visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Califronia, my primary interest was jellyfish. I wanted to create the effect of an image you might see in astrophotography similar to photographs of deep space nebulae. I waited for this jellyfish to move into good light.

By using a relatively fast shutter speed of 1/500 and "negative" exposure compensation, the jellyfish remained well-lit while the area surrounding the jellyfish darkened. The particles floating within the tank took on the appearance of "stars" and the lovely, subtle patch of blue is due to the color of a wall within the display. Hand-held, no cropping.

Tony

innerouterspacetonybritton2016-XL.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tony,

When I last visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Califronia, my primary interest was jellyfish. I wanted to create the effect of an image you might see in astrophotography similar to photographs of deep space nebulae. I waited for this jellyfish to move into good light.

By using a relatively fast shutter speed of 1/500 and "negative" exposure compensation, the jellyfish remained well-lit while the area surrounding the jellyfish darkened. The particles floating within the tank took on the appearance of "stars" and the lovely, subtle patch of blue is due to the color of a wall within the display. Hand-held, no cropping.

Clever, and lovely.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Tony

innerouterspacetonybritton2016-XL.jpg

Your work is mesmerizing!

Fabulous!

Asher