• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: 1 megapixel resurrection!

So did you get a new 20+ megapixel DLSR for Christmas? It’s easy to forget we were shooting single megapixels not too long ago.

Here’s one of my 1-megapixel Kodak DC265 images from 1999 (taken at the Claremont Colleges in Claremont CA). First the original (reduced overall size for the forum), then with post-processing (Topaz Impression and some PS tweaks) to bring it back to life.

archwaybefore.jpg

archwayafter.jpg

And some more fun with a 4mp Minolta DiMAGE S404 image of a garden statue from 2002, with similar post processing.

4mpstatue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

You are like an Italian master restorer of Renaissance paintings, making them bm vibrant once more!

Fabulous!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Consider that all the Mars Rover pictures were stitched from a 1 MP image sensor! There were 4 types of cameras, all with the same chip.

"The space qualified charge coupled device (CCD) image detector, by Mitel, is a front side illuminated, frame transfer type with 12 × 12 μm pixels, with a 1024 × 1024 pixel image register and a 1024 × 1024 pixel storage register. The full well capacity of the pixels is larger than 150,000 electrons and the dark current is specified at less than 1.5 nA/cm2"

Asher

Asher Kelman

Pretty amazing and historic. Like having ones name on the manifesto of the Mayflower that went with the Pilgrims and founded the Plymouth colony!

Asher

I think I caught the pic above just as the rover was getting an oil change...

Speaking of Pilgrim types, I've traced my ancestry back to various 1630s New England immigrants (not specifically the Mayflower at this point, though I have met a couple descendants at work). I'm also descended from the main players in the Salem Witch Trials, hmm.

Check out this website for celebrity ancestors and search your known surnames. Maybe like me you'll find you have common ancestors with the Kardashians and Kate Upton. Really.

Peter Dexter

That is certainly impressive quality from one megapixel and fine post processing. It is great that you've held on to these. Could be in an exhibition of historic digital photography.

My ancestry includes (self appointed) Lord Timothy Dexter of Newburyport, Mass. born in 1747 and author of "A Pickle For The knowing Ones".

How about a 160 KPx memory?

We had some early Ricoh and Casio digital point 'n shoot cameras in my lab at IBM in the 1990s for various projects in capturing all of your life and in making use of bezel mounted cameras in laptops. Here's one from the Ricoh, I think, taken in Sept 1997:

skyk1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It's me with daughter #1 on day #1.

scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scott! Just over 2 years earlier I was doing the same thing with my daughter ;-). Though that was all shot on film.

BTW, you were very close to needing a pocket protector in that photo!

PS: And a decade earlier I was in Jerusalem for a dig in the City of David.

Asher Kelman

We had some early Ricoh and Casio digital point 'n shoot cameras in my lab at IBM in the 1990s for various projects in capturing all of your life and in making use of bezel mounted cameras in laptops. Here's one from the Ricoh, I think, taken in Sept 1997:

skyk1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It's me with daughter #1 on day #1.

scott

This is such a beautiful image. It's especially poignant and personal as I have watched your daughter, (albeit from afar), grow up before my eyes! That's how much of an extended family we are here on OPF!

As to the "mere 1 megapixels", I doubt that it would be much of a challenge to extrapolate it up to print 16"x 20" with today's software.

This is so wonderful in that it shows so many things: the fatigue, the role of the father, the tenderness and the clean extra soft towel on the shoulder! Who told you about that, Scott?

Asher

Doug Kerr

In November of 1997, my beloved first wife of 37 years, Bobbie, died in the aftermath of a heart attack at the age of 58. I had shut down my consulting practice during her last six weeks, in a hospital cardiac CCU. But in December, I accepted a commission to do a seminar in Florida. I needed to get "back in the saddle".

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, so one night I went shopping, in a Best Buy store. There I bought my first digital camera, a Kodak DC210. I knew very little about digital cameras. I didn't even know that this was a fixed-focus camera.

On Christmas day of that year I took this shot of my older daughter, Nancy, and her daughter (my only biological grandchild) Julia Grace, then almost 4 (now almost 23!).

DCP00010-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Nancy and Julia Grace

This is a 1.0 Mpx image. We see it here ex camera, but slightly downsized for presentation here.

In the following couple of years I bought several Sony digital cameras, notably an MVC-FD7, an MVC-FD71, and an MVC-FD91 (all recording on 3.5-inch floppy disks).

But it was the trusty DC210 that I brought to bear for this shot (using its trusty self-timer functionality), on March 20, 1999:

DCP00084-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Doug and Carla - just engaged

It was taken on the morning after the precious Carla had agreed to marry me.

Again, it has been slightly downsized from it original 1.0 Mpx format, but is otherwise ex camera except for a little adjustment of exposure.

Still, our next step was to get something with a bit greater resolution, namely a Kodak DC4800 (3.1 Mpx!). But that's a story for another time and another place.

Best regards,

Doug

>>This is so wonderful in that it shows so many things: the fatigue, the role of the father, the tenderness and the clean extra soft towel on the shoulder! Who told you about that, Scott?
<<

The basic baby cycle of life -- wake, drink, burp, sleep, poop -- was explained to me before they let me hold her. The towel is for the burp part of the cycle.

scott