• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lens from a dissolved Printer lab

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Found this when a Printer lab was dissolved... shot fully open using a 0.7x Speedbooster on GH4

35484553663_6d9e57c47f_o.jpg

36248848396_7eba5041ee_o.jpg

35896334880_7b8d6c86eb_o.jpg

35484548673_7abef2509f_o.jpg

36289793415_e56ff44fb6_o.jpg

36289791645_9227b73c0f_o.jpg

Dr Klaus Schmitt

and here how I would do in studio...(but shot outside)

35530991123_a4a1775f93_o.jpg

This lens was designed to get the best out of people's negaitives and IMHO it does!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

We mere mortals just are blown away by the impressive drawing of this lens. But how do you as a scientist and lens expert understand the components of what allows this particular lens to deliver which remarkable effect.

35942904400_d1bed0a519_o.jpg

I would. really appreciate your breakdown as to the technical reasons why this lens excels.

Thanks in advance,

Asher

Asher Kelman

and here how I would do in studio...(but shot outside)

35530991123_a4a1775f93_o.jpg

This lens was designed to get the best out of people's negaitives and IMHO it does!

...and what's even as fortunate, is to possess the experience, skill and vision to design such a composition, worthy of this lens-camera combination.

So what exactly is the lens?

I have collected a number of massive copy lenses, (albeit with massively long focal lengths), myself for use with a Cibachrome camera project that was doomed with the end of that film.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thank you for your kind words Asher!

It is a special industrial, business-to-business sold only lens (i.e. not to the public) made my TOMIOKA, I found out. No further info I found so far...

Asher Kelman

What would I grab from your entire lens collection, if you gave me one shoe box and allowed 5 minutes to choose anything that could fit in, without going a mm over the top?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

What would I grab from your entire lens collection, if you gave me one shoe box and allowed 5 minutes to choose anything that could fit in, without going a mm over the top?

Asher

Hmm, reminds me of some old storytelling: I guy walks down a gravel road when all of a sudden he sees something glistening on the ground. He bends down, grabs it, turns it around in his manicured fingers and says: "oh, what a funny piece of glissening glass", throws it down to the gravel and walks on.... Another guy walks the very same road, sees also the glistening, gets on his knees, digs it out of the gravel, turns it between his worn out fingers, looks closer and closer and mumbles: "Oh God, what made you put this raw diamond here in between all this gravel", puts it most carefully in his pocket and walks on with a big thankful smile on his face...

So.....

Asher Kelman

Yes,

That tale is apt Klaus. I am not equipped to make the choices except for the very few fine lenses I already own. So I would have to get you to pick for me!

Asher

This is really something wished to be looked over again and again. As it has been managed to be one of the cleanest shots.

Sir (Dr Klaus Schmitt) I am looking for tips to photography from your end and I hope you will surely help me out. :)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes,

That tale is apt Klaus. I am not equipped to make the choices except for the very few fine lenses I already own. So I would have to get you to pick for me!

Asher

Asher, what I was saying is, one has to have personal experience with those exotic lenses to be able to know their best of abilities and when and where they really shine.

This is really something wished to be looked over again and again. As it has been managed to be one of the cleanest shots.

Sir (Dr Klaus Schmitt) I am looking for tips to photography from your end and I hope you will surely help me out. :)

Roshni, best would be to start with using a good enlarger lens like the old chrome/black EL-Nikkor 5.6/80mm and a suitable focusing mount like this one here http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/2015/09/how-to-modularily-mount-projection-or.html and develop some experience with that. This mount also allows projection lenses to be used, which are very sharp and have a very small depth of field. Unfortunately my very limited time does not allow hand-holding and step-by-step guidance, you'on your own with that... ;-)