• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

PDA, Outlook and Operation Grabbing

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Since my Palm went out for good and I needed something better, I decided to go for Windows Mobile 5 device. So far so good, most things are either working fine or can easily be hacked/mended by me.

One annoyance, though, I face for which somebody may have a solution:

My e-mail client is The Bat!, the best on earth, but I had to install Outlook for all the PIM functionality (calendar, notes, contacts) and automatic syncing. Let's not dwell on all the obvious and not so obvious shortcomings of OL compared to Palm Desktop [or The Bat!, depending on which part of the software we look at].

Unfortunately everytime it starts OL grabs VCF associations, which should be with TB instead. Luckily but wearingly TB asks me if I want to have it back with TB. Upon any kind of OL installation - like yesterday's patch day - Ol also takes over every other file extension and registration from TB. Again, TB asks me if I want all associations and it being the default e-mail client to re-associate.

Now, has anybody a solution how I can stop OL from grabbing what it shan't have? Short of uninstalling.

Roger Lambert

I've never figured out how to stop it, but I am not great with computers. :D

You may not want to uninstall it, though - there are a ton of internet-related programs that need it, and you might get get screen after screen asking for Outlook.

I get these screens because evidently some part of Outlook is missing on my computer.

Good Luck! I hope you find an answer. :)