• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Hand Launching a Glider

Chris Calohan

8722696588_479c90a48c_b.jpg

The Launch: Chris Calohan​

Cem_Usakligil

Chris this is very interesting. Is this you in the picture? What kind of glider is that? I had been an avid model aeroplane builder in my youth and I had specialized in gliders (A1 & A2 class and rubber powered wakefield). I haven't done any modeling in 30 years. This brings up many lovely memories.

Chris Calohan

It is not me. I happened on two guys flying their gliders in a field not far from me and was intrigued by the agility of the flights. The ones they were flying were carbon fiber with foam wings which were polyurethaned for strength. The one pictured in this launch sequence has ailerons, flaps, rudder, and elevator which gave him great control in that both guys caught their planes rather than sliding them down on the ground.

8724627064_f7ab1e9ce7_c.jpg

I'm impressed by the length of the fuselage!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Impressive indeed. The materials used in model building have changed drastically in the past 30 years. We used to toil with balsa wood and paper to build our wings. Nowadays it is foam, carbonfibre and what have you.