• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

University Orchestra

Nill Toulme

A few more from my recent shoot of the Emory Symphony Orchestra's dress rehearsal:

101015-ESO-001_std.jpg

101015-ESO-189_std.jpg

101015-ESO-170_std.jpg

101015-ESO-144_std.jpg

Lots more here.

Nill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few more from my recent shoot of the Emory Symphony Orchestra's dress rehearsal:Nill

Lots more here.

101015-ESO-001_std.jpg

To those who have never photographed an entire orchestra, it may appear simple enough. Just get a wide angle lens, use a tripod and assign as many pixels as one can afford. Actually, it's rather more challenging than that. Orchestra members are musical artists but also, here especially, fun loving people who may not always stay in the formal mode 5 seconds longer than necessary for the music program. So getting the entire ensemble n one good shot is no0 mean feat.

what is especially noticeable to me is the even lighting which means that the lighting techs are really doing a good job or flash is at work too. Yes, there's some fall off at the sides of the stage, but I've found far worse most of the time!

These next pictures are really wonderful caught moments. I have no doubt that all the experience n following and predicting movement in sports helps you here and you are so successful.

101015-ESO-189_std.jpg

101015-ESO-170_std.jpg

101015-ESO-144_std.jpg

Nill,

This is so enjoyable! Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Nill Toulme

Thanks Asher. I do indeed find stage and music work very similar to shooting sports. (But then, "To a man with a hammer...")

Nill

Asher Kelman

Nill,

What's your approach to lighting? Do you plan to use strobes to even out the fall off. The faces seem to be otherwise well lit. With a 28 mm lens, it seems that you are in the hall and not at the very back. So are you shooting in a dress rehearsal and if not, do you use a blimp to hide the shutter sound?

Asher

Nill Toulme

I used to strobe it but it was just too much hassle getting set up and breaking down and so forth before the show started. So now I'm back to just the house lights. It's pretty hot in the middle and dark on the edges; the bass players tend to get lost. I'd like to experiment with some sort of ovoid gradient mask to fix that some, but I just don't have time.

This was a dress rehearsal. I either shoot then or during warmups before the actual performance, before they let the audience in. I just wander around the stage, clicking away. What the conductor wants, the conductor gets. ;-)

Most of the onstage shots are with the 70-200 f2.8, some with the 24-105, both on 1-series (a Mark IV and IIn). The long shot is from the balcony of course, with the 24-105 on the Mark IV, live view on a tripod with geared head to get it lined up right.

There's EXIF info under the individual shots on my website. I shoot RAW and do a little tweaking as necessary in the conversion.

Nill

fahim mohammed

A few more from my recent shoot of the Emory Symphony Orchestra's dress rehearsal:

101015-ESO-189_std.jpg

101015-ESO-170_std.jpg

Lots more here.

Nill

Nill, sometimes I come across photos that immediately stop me in my tracks.

On looking at the above two I experienced such a moment.

The passion, concentration and indeed the dedication that is put in by the artist during their performance becomes obvious.

The moment to press the trigger, the positioning, the background, the purposeful selection of the camera controls are upto the photog.

The artist and the photographer in these two photographs both appear as masters of their respective crafts.

Excellent. Thank you for sharing these with us.

Nill Toulme

Thanks very much Fahim. I really appreciate it.

I find myself both exhausted and somewhat exhilarated after one of these sessions.

BTW, this one was my favorite from that session — and maybe my favorite of the year thus far. I posted it elsewhere, but I like it so much I think I'll post it again here. ;-)

101015-ESO-002_std.jpg

Nill

Asher Kelman

Nil,

Yes indeed. I love to see the musician celebrated like this. I hope she goes on to great achievements. Who knows, she may end up here in Los Angeles!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thanks very much Fahim. I really appreciate it.

I find myself both exhausted and somewhat exhilarated after one of these sessions.

BTW, this one was my favorite from that session — and maybe my favorite of the year thus far. I posted it elsewhere, but I like it so much I think I'll post it again here. ;-)

101015-ESO-002_std.jpg

Nill

Nill, glorious, engrossing, consuming passion are what immediately springs to mind. I love intimacy in photographs of people. I am standing next to her and listening to her playing the harp.

Lovely indeed!