• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chrisco - The Making of… How the book was printed

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all
Just before last summer (2010) we have delivered to one of our customer a book (28.4 x 19.7 inches when opened).
This large size book is made of 80 pages, printed in cmyk offset.
It shows the story of the construction of high end technology, most contemporary style 100 feet sailing yacht.

Long time ago I have posted some images here and there in OPF

The book can be browsed here

In the same time as the book, we have delivered the same story, but in Video, here
Video shoot, editing, music: Romain Claris.

But THERE you can see the Making of of the book.
This film is just released and I offer the Première to the OPF members.

It will be shown in HD on a 40" LCD screen at the Dusseldorf Boot Messe next week.

Click on the full screen view, sit one meter back from your screen, have your preferred drink in hand, relax, put the sound to max and enjoy… 8'30

If you are patient and have a good dsl line, yoy may check the HD button (upper right corner of the video when you roll over with your mouse)
If it does not run smoothly, pause for a short while for the video to upload…

Cem_Usakligil

Fantastic achievement!

Bonjour Nicolas,

First of all, please let me congratulate you and your team (Marine for the art direction and Romain for the videos and music). This is truly a great achievement. I have seen you work on this prestigious project for the past 3 years. I have seen how much thinking and planning has gone into it, how much care and attention have been given to its execution and how each detail has been worked out to total perfection. I have seen how much effort it has required, how you have put all your energy into it. This has been a project only the best of the best could successfully handle. And that is what you really are, the best of the best! We in OPF are all very proud of you and I am particularly proud as I may also call you a true friend of mine. CHAPEAU!!!!

Tip: everybody should see the part of the video which starts at 0m32s!! :)

Amitiés,

Hi all
Just before last summer (2010) we have delivered to one of our customer a book (28.4 x 19.7 inches when opened).
This large size book is made of 80 pages, printed in cmyk offset.
It shows the story of the construction of high end technology, most contemporary style 100 feet sailing yacht.

Long time ago I have posted some images here and there in OPF

The book can be browsed here

In the same time as the book, we have delivered the same story, but in Video, here

But THERE you can see the Making of of the book.
This film is just released and I offer the Première to the OPF members.

It will be shown in HD on a 40" LCD screen at the Dusseldorf Boot Messe next week.

Click on the full screen view, sit one meter back from your screen, have your preferred drink in hand, relax, put the sound to max and enjoy… 8'30

If you are patient and have a good dsl line, yoy may check the HD button (upper right corner of the video when you roll over with your mouse)
If it does not run smoothly, pause for a short while for the video to upload…

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have been privileged to preview some of the preparations during the past years, including what you had with you on the booth at the annual Boot fair in Düsseldorf and on your website. This was an amazing enterprise and journey, for all involved. The owner has something to be proud about, and you played an importent role in some of the aspects. The craftmanship is visible in everything.

Of course you and Romain made a visual treat of it again, for us to simply enjoy from the comfort of our chair (without the blood, sweat, and tears, and sea spray, it took to make it happen).

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Bart

Thank you for your kind words!
If you come to Dusseldorf boot messe next week, you'll see the book showcased on our stand...

Kind regards

John Angulat

pro member
Nicolas, my sincere apologies for not commenting sooner!
I had wanted to be able to make the necessary time available to both browse the book and see the video.
I am so very, very glad I waited.
This is a work so magnificent I've no real way to express what I've seen.
Stunning comes to mind, as does artist of the highest quality.
Congratulations to you, Romain, Marine and your team.
Your passion has produced a perfect orchestra of artists, offering us a symphony of vision.
Thank you for sharing this.

nicolas claris

Thank you John

Much appreciated!

In fact, may I say that work pays and not only the bills!
Also, working within a team with personalities like Marine and Romain does push me hard, over and over…

Alain Briot

pro member
Since we're on the subject of money, I find interesting that the film is more about Nicolas than about his client. Seems that it should be the other way around since the client is paying for the project.

Cem_Usakligil

Alain,
Since we're on the subject of money, I find interesting that the film is more about Nicolas than about his client. Seems that it should be the other way around since the client is paying for the project.
The film is about the making of the product (ie the book for which the customer has paid) and is not a part of the formally paid job. It is a promo film for a.o. the Boat expo. Naturally it focuses on the photographer.

Alain Briot

pro member
Cem,

Believe me I think about what I write carefully. Like all good French boys I was taught to twist my tongue in my mouth 7 times before saying (or writing) anything, and I do that dutifully.

This is simply my opinion. No more, no less. Thank you for stating yours. We don't all have to agree. The world would become a very boring place if we did.

My assumption is that since this video is posted to a public forum it is perfectly fine to post my reaction to it.

Alain Briot

pro member
My initial response, to which Cem commented, was motivated by the following:

As a viewer I would have been interested in learning first what were the clients initial goals for the project, and second what was the client's response to the completed project.

As a client I would have been honored to be featured in the photographer's "Making of video" of the project I paid for.

As a marketing consultant I always recommend showing how the client's needs are being met by the product because doing so generates both repeat business and new business. The product in this case being a marketing piece, a book on the Chrisco 100 foot sailing yacht.

This last point is particularly relevant since the video will be shown publicly at a trade fair for the boat industry (http://www.boat-duesseldorf.com/), an event whose attendance by a company is motivated by the desire to promote one's product and/or services.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How to market an artist with a reputation for being part of the team?

Alain,

It's great that you add your own experience to this discussion. I know you were careful. I don't want the french tongue to be twisted further than needed. De Gaulle must turn in his grave.

Yes, it would seem that it should be "how the client got what they wanted, needed and more". That's what generally gives good even excellent results. However, I have made the pilgrimage to Bordeaux and looked at every aspect of the work done by their public relations and photography studio. After countless hours going over every aspect of the work in detail, I have the privilege of a realistic view of the struggles, challenges, resources and world in which Claris Image Maker sails. He's different than most companies and what's so special is Nicolas, a boat builder, sea captain, photographer, programmer, color expert and designer, whose work is already largely known by a lot of those those who need to know.

Claris Image Builder™ offers such an intimate personalized experience that it is indeed about most all all Nicolas, his nature, approachability and character. Of course his staff, Marine, co owner and the videographer and composer, Romain Claris, his talented son each play critical roles in the team.

However, it's Nicolas, just himself, after all, is the the captain who has sailed all the waters new boats must sail. The clients know of him already by reputation and experience. They're buying not just a memento book, but far more than that: an intimate relationship with a man who knows the sea as well as any mariner. He feels for the architects, owners, boats, the workers on it, the crew and the owner and this shows in the limited edition book, maybe only 14 copies made! The unique esthetics of how Nicolas' direction work, come across in the movie. It's beautiful, engaging and will succeed in acquiring new clients and maintaining the relationships he has already built. So the most recent promotional video for Claris Image Builder™, in being about it's main character, Nicolas himself, is focused just sit should be.

Can he do the job? Is he experienced? Does he attend to detail? Is he available? Is he a man one can work with easily? The answers are all "Yes!"

Add to that he has a reputation for being present in the boardrooms for the very first meeting with the owners of the project, at the time when ideas are being sketched out and contributes to the discussion, this movie works well for him.

Still, the idea of bringing sharp focus to how Claris Image Builder™ might function to address clients needs in a variety of production areas can also be shown in simple brochures.

Asher

nicolas claris

Bonjour Alain
Sorry to connect late, but I'm abroad in Germany and don't have much time to surf on the Internet!
If you had checked the links I posted in the introductory/initial post here, you would have seen the whole story…
As a side note, how can you imagine that I post on my own website and then here such a work without showing first to the client?
He was so thrilled and impressed (his own words) that he asked me to put it -also- on the private website that we have built for him. Sorry, private website means that I cannot put the access code in here …
I do pretend to be a professional, and as such, do what have to be done… I just can't write here all the story ;-)
As a matter of fact, and as first Cem and then Asher kindly explained, the film shown here is the "making of" of the "making of" (see the thread title by the way).
A promotion movie to show "behind the scene" to my customers and prospective clients… Not a lot of people know about the real work done before the delivery of such a book…

Among all that, I particularly appreciate that you took the time to look at the film.

Alain Briot

pro member
I particularly appreciate that you took the time to look at the film.

It was educational. I am always interested in marketing efforts. In most instances there's something more that can be done, something that was missed or something that can be done differently. Marketing and advertising are about testing different approaches.