• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kelsey Nord

Tom Owen Meinen

Here are my shots of local Omaha artist, Kelsey Nord. This will be my last shoot with my 20D as I've just upgraded to a 1D Mark III.

kelseynord_044-frwcrop.jpg

kelseynord_674BW.jpg

kelseynord_825vigBWneuC.jpg

kelseynord_591bw-sefex-nr.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here are my shots of local Omaha artist, Kelsey Nord. This will be my last shoot with my 20D as I've just upgraded to a 1D Mark III.

Tom,

Singers in front of microphones can be hard to photograph. Also one can get seduced into correcting completely the colors of the stage lights and lose the atmosphere. You have done well. She looks young, fresh and really enthusiastic and sincere. Why not give her a boost and link to her website and where one can listen to the music!!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom

Nice shots, cute girl, nice voice but a bit unsure of her pitch from time to time (not only in big jumps).

Best regards,

Doug

ron_hiner

Nice shots!
My faves are the B&W... In my former career as a concert lighting designer I had two goals (sometimes conflicting).. first was to make the artists visible, and then to make the lighting itself look interesting.
As a former lighting desinger and a current photog... I like the B&W best because the colors can be distracting. B&W lets artist pop. I like that.
Nice work!

Ron

Tom Owen Meinen

Tom,

Singers in front of microphones can be hard to photograph. Also one can get seduced into correcting completely the colors of the stage lights and lose the atmosphere. You have done well. She looks young, fresh and really enthusiastic and sincere. Why not give her a boost and link to her website and where one can listen to the music!!

Asher

Great idea. Here are her pages:
http://www.myspace.com/kelseynord
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1012754725#!/KelseyNordMusic

And her CD:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kelseynord

And her official video:
Kelsey Nord - Let Go

She's done a large number of videos for Youtube, both originals and covers. Just search for her name there.

Nice shots!
My faves are the B&W... In my former career as a concert lighting designer I had two (sometimes conflicting goals).. first make the artists visible, and then make the lighting itself look interesting.
As a former lighting desinger and a current photog... I like the B&W best because the colors can be distracting. B&W lets artist pop. I like that.
Nice work!

Ron

I tend to like black and white a lot for that very reason. In many cases it's the only thing that can work. Some lighting techs make everything either in Christmas green or Devil red, making it impossible to color correct to anything of quality. At the Kelsey shoot (at the Waiting Room; Omaha, NE), I was lucky to have a helpful tech. Per her request and since I was there on assignment by her, he cranked it up, giving me plenty of light.

You can see both B&W and Color versions in these links:
http://tommeinenphotography.com/kelsey/new/
http://tommeinenphotography.com/kelsey/

ron_hiner

Tom.. one of my favorite tricks is to convert a photo to B&W in photoshop, then reduce the opacity of that layer. You get a hint of color, and that's it. Sometimes it works artisticaly, sometimes not. Worth a try... my point is only that it's not an all-or-nothing decision.
Ron

Tom Owen Meinen

Tom.. one of my favorite tricks is to convert a photo to B&W in photoshop, then reduce the opacity of that layer. You get a hint of color, and that's it. Sometimes it works artisticaly, sometimes not. Worth a try... my point is only that it's not an all-or-nothing decision.
Ron

That's a great idea. I'll likely try that. I do B&W conversions in many ways. Most frequently I use Photoshop (CS3)'s black and white conversion tool. I rarely do it from the RAW file. Sometimes I do it with the Photoshop plug-in Silver Efex Pro. It's a wonderful tool that mimics various black and white film types and development processes.

ron_hiner

Silver efex

.... Sometimes I do it with the Photoshop plug-in Silver Efex Pro. It's a wonderful tool that mimics various black and white film types and development processes.

In my humble opinion, that's the best tool there is. My B&Ws converted with Silver Efex always look great.

I bought the upgrade to version 2 a couple weeks ago, but haven't had a B&W project to do with it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Another tool I use... and this one shocks me... my Nikon D3x has a monocrome settting. When I'm doing a shoot that I know will be ultimately B&W ouput, I'll set it to monohrome mode and shoot in Raw. When I do that, I can always recover the color, but the shocking thing is how good the monochrome is straight out of the camera.