• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mac Shultz - guitar

Max Schultz, an outstanding guitarplayer ( jazz and all kinds of music ).

I'm fond of shallow dof and blurry backgrounds, so for this I got very close to him so the dof would be great and then took 24 images to get a panorama. ( so called Brenizer or Bokeh panorama )

max_kafferep_bw_fix_800.jpg

Heres a little more strange image. He's a Tele lover.

imageh12.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Max Schultz, an outstanding guitarplayer ( jazz and all kinds of music ).

I'm fond of shallow dof and blurry backgrounds, so for this I got very close to him so the dof would be great and then took 24 images to get a panorama. ( so called Brenizer or Bokeh panorama )

max_kafferep_bw_fix_800.jpg

Heres a little more strange image. He's a Tele lover.

imageh12.jpg

Per,

What's impressive is the entirely different showing of the same person. The first is so contemplative, poetic and restrained while the second is wild on the edge of destruction!

I notice that his shadow in the second picture does rise as expected over one guitar or the floor. did you draw that in by hand or were there actually two guitars that day?

Asher

Thank you very much. I had the camera on a tripod and then we took 10 exposures with the guitar placed on different locations and then I took a image of Max walking on his toes on a spot where we did not have a guitar. The post process got a little tricky combining the exposured and fixing the connection between shadow here and there. Some shadows had to be added in post, as you mention, they had to rise at some points.

Per:

Love the first image so much as with the very shallow dof you really have helped to set him lost in his own space which is what really happens when you are creating. People around can be talking etc., and you are just in your own zone and oblivious to all that around you.

The second image is fun too, and obviously a composite but nicely done. For me, being that he is higher up, I didn't mind his shadow not appearing on the guitar below as it would probably be cast farther to the right as you have done. I do ,however, not understand the lack of shadow on the neck of the guitar that is underneath the one above it right under his body. Since we see the shadow of the neck and the head, doesn't it also go across the neck of the one beneath? especially since it is such a strong shadow.

here is where I mean: ( added a quick shadow to help reference and probably not even dark enough)
pershadow.jpg

This does not mean that I don't like your work. I've actually been to your website checking out your work and I think you are pretty darn fantastic.
Maggie

Thank you very much and you are so right about the shadow. Im blind at times. I dont understand why that shadow has eluded me. I do however find a lot of mistakes in my images, but often ( I think ) I managed to fix them ( wishful thinking =) ). But some get away unnoticed.

Thank you very much and you are so right about the shadow. Im blind at times. I dont understand why that shadow has eluded me. I do however find a lot of mistakes in my images, but often ( I think ) I managed to fix them ( wishful thinking =) ). But some get away unnoticed.

I think it is simply because there was a lot of masking etc., to do that then doing the shadows, one tiny bit of shadow just got unnoticed. It wouldn't really worry especially since it is such an easy fix (especially for you!).