• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Few Wedding Photos from Us

Mike Fulton

Hello I am new here and I wanted to share a few wedding photos from our business, TriCoast Photography. While our studio is located in Texas, U.S. we photograph weddings all over the world. Here are a few images from the last few months. Looking forward to sharing more about our business and art here.

1. Stockholm, Sweden:
old_town-stockholm.jpg

2. Austin, Texas (U.S.):
_MG_1468.jpg

3. Alabama (U.S.):
IMG_9327.jpg

4. Maui, Hawaii (U.S.):
The_Portraits-083-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

Tell me about the special "copper plated", deep saturation and HDR effects in these pictures. I imagine they would be printed on metallic paper. Is this something folk ask for now or is this a style from many you offer? Why do it?

I'm surprised this look would work for the bride's mother to show off as it might not be their taste!

Asher

Last edited:

Mike Fulton

Mike,

Tell me about the special "copper plated", deep saturation and HDR effects in these pictures. I imagine they would be printed on metallic paper. Is this something folk ask for now or is this a style from many you offer? Why do it?

I'm surprised this look would work for the bride's mother to show off as it might not be their taste!

Asher

It is not HDR one image captured by using TTL Metering and one off Camera Speedlite. By metering for my subject first then underexposing from there to the extreme limits of where my speedlite can still expose my subject correctly using the TTL metering built into the flash and still have that deep background exposed as well you get what appears to be an HDR effect.

This only works when you have heavy cloud cover otherwise the light is too extreme. Meaning the background is too bright to expose correctly and the little speedlite to expose the subject correctly so you have to choose just one (which clearly would be my subject)

In post work I added a sharpening effect which is one of my personal actions I created, then turned the overall image into a sepia tone with a layer of black below it to give an even deeper look.

The groom wanted a "gangster" image with his groomsmen so this is what I presented to him and they loved it. In fact the bride's mother is a photographer herself and cried when she saw it on the back of the camera she loved it so much. The wedding day is not always about the bride, of course most of it is, but a few images are just about the groom and his wants/needs this is one of those. These images complete the wedding day story by giving everyone a little something of their own, at least in our business it does. Images like this is why we are hired around the world to capture weddings, its just some of the things we are known for.

Mike Fulton

Love the first and fourth.

Thanks Rachel!

The first was captured in Old Town Stockholm, Sweden just walking the streets with a bride. While cold so we did not stay long it was a fun experience. Captured with TTL Metering and one Off Camera Flash/Speedlite

The last one captured in Maui, Hawaii was done all natural lighting and I then post processed the tone to it. I am a big and I mean BIG color freak and then saturation nerd :) so I love toned images as this which is not quite sepia and not quite full color.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Asher Kelman

IMG_9327.jpg

Mike,

In this picture, did you just leave the effects of the fisheye for drama or is there any correction? It certainly catches out attention. Adding the black below the sepia is an interesting trick. Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Mike Fulton

Mike,

In this picture, did you just leave the effects of the fisheye for drama or is there any correction? It certainly catches out attention. Adding the black below the sepia is an interesting trick. Thanks for sharing!

Asher​

Left by design. One reason why I love shooting with a Canon 1:1 body AND a Canon 1:6 cropped body is that both bodies allow me to use the same glass in different ways. This image is a perfect example of using a 1:6 cropped body with a fisheye. It gives me a little effect - just enough to add to the image yet not enough to remove the overall feel I wanted to give to my client in the final product. While others I removed the effect in post some I leave in, both give me different results with images captured at the same general time and place.

I blend a lot of solid colors under my main image, it just adds a little more interest. Usually it is blues and purples (my favorite colors) and blacks to add depth.​

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I like the images [except #1]. Nice to see something a bit different. There are so many photographers out there all doing the same thing now... I am kinda over that.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Mike

Hi Mike:

I don't think the people here at OPF know you as the wedding and portrait people do from other boards like DWF. Most of the members here are more international, do more landscape, commercial and archetectural. There are a lot of large and medium format people and tech geeks as well

Welcome to OPF. It's a nice place to hang out where people aren't as stressed out about business/MOB's and FOG's, Policies and Contracts and what their competition said last night about them.

Asher Kelman

Hi Mike:

I don't think the people here at OPF know your as the wedding and portrait people do from other boards like DWF. Most of the members here are more international, do more landscape, commercial and archetectural. There are a lot of large and medium format people and tech geeks as well

Welcome to OPF. It's a nice place to hang out where people aren't as stressed out about business/MOB's and FOG's, Policies and Contracts and what their competition said last night about them.

Mike,

Kathy is so right. I just enjoy your pictures because the work calls for attention, intrigues, entertains and pays off with a unique experience. Especially enjoyable is that I learned a bit from your work in that it's made so differently that I would have thought illustrating such characters.

Asher