• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tawny-bellied Hermit

Peter Dexter

This is not autobiographical it's the name of the bird.

18178051524_44525b4d38_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is not autobiographical it's the name of the bird.

18178051524_44525b4d38_b.jpg

What a superb little bird! These creatures are amazing in their habit of doing the lek, some kind of group males assmebly of dance, shuffle and sound to attract the females to get an offer to mate!

The females do the rearing of the young. All the gut has to do is dance well!

Wonderful life!

If you are not dinner for a hawk!

That beaks is superb. I guess it can forage in the undergrowth for insects and also drink nectar.

Is this a juvenile or a female with no colored rump?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I should have given more information. It is a hummingbird and that beak allows it to draw nectar from deep curved tube flowers.They are not sexually dimorphic so can't tell if it's male or female.

Asher Kelman

I should have given more information. It is a hummingbird and that beak allows it to draw nectar from deep curved tube flowers.They are not sexually dimorphic so can't tell if it's male or female.

I should have been more careful, LOL. I thought this was correct and that they are dimorphous:

"This long-billed hermit forages low in the interior of humid and wet forest undergrowth, searching for nectar and arthropods. Males gather at leks for part of the year where they make a squeaky, repeated tseep numerous times each minute. Both sexes have long, white central tail feathers and males boast a bright rufous-orange rump. In Colombia, Tawny-bellied Hermits are the only hermit of the genus Phaethornis restricted to the highlands."

Asher

Peter Dexter

Thanks for that correction Asher, I don't often get a chance to observe them but will look more closely at that rump when I do

Asher Kelman

I am no expert, Peter, just trying to catch up!

This is a fascinating bird. What is amazing is how the males benefit by dancing together but dont find it worthwhile to stick around to look after their offspring once the feamle is done with them!

Asher