• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Long Production Run

Peter Dexter

I was surprised to discover that a lens I use, the Canon EF 400 5.6 has been in production for twenty five years. I wonder if current copies are unchanged from the original issue. That is certainly a long production run and I would guess there have been changes in it's manufacture. Or maybe not...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was surprised to discover that a lens I use, the Canon EF 400 5.6 has been in production for twenty five years. I wonder if current copies are unchanged from the original issue. That is certainly a long production run and I would guess there have been changes in it's manufacture. Or maybe not...

That superb workhorse lens, today “belongs” on a Sony A7RIII as it gets 5 stops of image stabilization and a fabulous sensor!

Canon has always made stellar designs. Essentially, if one doesn’t scuff up the lens with rough use, these beasts hold their value for decades. One could end up with 15% profit or a 15% loss but the cost of ownership is pretty well the loss of interest on the cash payment and the “loss of opportunity” in not putting that wad of cash to some more profitable investment!

Asher