• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Longhorns in the shade

Doug Kerr

Asher had recently urged that I post again a photo from 2009 of a family of longhorn cattle lounging in the shade of a large tree not far from our then home in Weatherford, Texas.

When I first posted it, some of my colleagues aptly commented that it might have been nice if that red car were not in the scene (our then one year old Nissan Maxima, still looking just like that) and that it might have been nicer of there were not some strands of barbed wire in the foreground. It was suggested that I revisit the site, park the car out of the frame, and shoot so as to avoid the intrusion of the barbed wire. And of course, catch the family of critters in a comparable pose.

That didn't happen. For one thing, I didn't know how to say, "Hit your marks - this is picture" in Longhornian.

But just yesterday I indulged in some further bush-league postprocessing, and here we have it:

Longhorns_F06797-03-C1-800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Longhorns in the shade, Weatherford, Texas, 2009

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

I am thrilled to see this scene revisited. The horns being so curvaceous really add to the lyricism and success!

Impressed by the edits. Worth waiting for! Now you know where you stored the original, what other bovine treasure are waiting for your attention?

Asher

Peter Dexter

A charming family portrait. Not many people see these I don't think except for Texans. Bring to mind the ancient and fearsome Aurochs which are evidently their ancesters. Saw them years ago ranging free in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Reserve in southeastern Oklahoma