• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Has any one used Polaroid Pos/Neg Film?

Will Thompson

Greetings,

I am just getting ready to play with my new (old) Crown 4x5 and was wondering what to expect with the different types of Polaroid films instant sheet and pack?

Thanks for any info/experiences you might have had.

WillGood

"I am just getting ready to play with my new (old) Crown 4x5 and was wondering what to expect with the different types of Polaroid films instant sheet and pack?

Thanks for any info/experiences you might have had."

Hi Will
Ive been using 600se with 665 pack film, and scanning on a 4990 epson.
The 665 produces very detailed 3.25 X 4.25 negs. The film has most of the qualities as the 4X5 pos/neg pola film (55 i believe).

I will probably pick up the 4X5 pola back conversion as 665 film is being discontinued ; (
Ive been looking at the super graphics as a future possibility as well.
You can get an idea of the images on my website under Provincetown, tho wed hardly shows the detail...; )

William

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Will, I thought you had decided on another camera and even bought a new lens. Which is which?

I think the answer is "all that". It's not true that WIll never met a camera that he didn't like, just that he never met one he wouldn't buy!

Best regards,

Doug

Will Thompson

Doug Kerr said:
It's not true that WIll never met a camera that he didn't like, just that he never met one he wouldn't buy!

At the right price!

OK Now, first things first:

Asher, Here is the skinny.

Got a Crown 4x5 field camera on eBay for $89, it was in way too good a condition for just display so I got a polaroid 545 back, some 72 B&W film, A NEW Caltar 150-mm f6.3 lens, And a Polaroid pack film back.

Shot that photo I sent you of the sun sculpture.

Got a second crown with 2 finished wood sheet film holders, 1 Kodak pack film holders, and a lens.

Sending Doug the later Crown with the lens for him to use for show and tell (it has seen better days but is intact).

Ordered a Wista 45DX In like new condition listed as cherry wood but photos look to be rose wood (I had on hold awaiting the conveyer belt with the money bucket on it to come by), 250-mm f5.6 tele-arto. lens for the Wista, 6 sheet film holders, 2 NEW Wista lens boards, and 2 boxes of pack film B&W+Color.

Not to mention the 500mm F8 Canon FD lens to use with my New FD to EOS adapter.

They will be here on tuesday!

Next,

Hi William, (almost like looking at MY reflection in the LCD)

Thanks for the info and the Provincetown photos.

Do you have a full resolution "RAW JPEG" scan from one of your negatives so I can see the resolution, any crapy test shot will do as long focus is good.

Thanks all, Darn I am long posted tonight.

WillGood

"Do you have a full resolution "RAW JPEG" scan from one of your negatives so I can see the resolution, any crapy test shot will do as long focus is good."

Will
I added a 50% crop of a boot (from previous shot) on my website in "provincetown' ....sorry, not 100%, I think youll get a good idea of the scan of 665..(8bit at 2400).....
William

Will Thompson

Thanks William! Looks outstanding.

WillGood said:
"Do you have a full resolution "RAW JPEG" scan from one of your negatives so I can see the resolution, any crapy test shot will do as long focus is good."

Will
I added a 50% crop of a boot (from previous shot) on my website in "provincetown' ....sorry, not 100%, I think youll get a good idea of the scan of 665..(8bit at 2400).....
William

WillGood

Will
Thank you.
The mamiya 127mm is quite sharp, with an added plus of f32-f64 capability.
Im really enjoying the "1 shot" discipline of pos/neg film after shooting digital with abandon ;)
I just picked up a bronica SQam kit & an OM2n w/lenses as well.
Im interested in hearing back from you about the crown after youve given it a whirl .
William

Wolfgang Borrs

William,

it is really sad to hear that the 665 P/N is discontinued, one of my last analog camera is the 600SE with a 127mm and a 75mm; Polaroid-, 6x7- and 6x9-backs. I hold this camera just because of this unique film. With this for me new information I will put all on ebay :-(

Wolfgang

WillGood

Wolfgang Borrs said:
William,

it is really sad to hear that the 665 P/N is discontinued, one of my last analog camera is the 600SE with a 127mm and a 75mm; Polaroid-, 6x7- and 6x9-backs. I hold this camera just because of this unique film. With this for me new information I will put all on ebay :-(

Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang
Nice to hear from another 600se user!
the great john waters portrait, on your homepage, looks like 127mm, yes?
Just had to ask, what do you want for your 600se kit?
William

Wolfgang Borrs

Hi William,
thanks, yes it is the 127mm.
I do not know what I want for my Kit (600SE, 127mm, 75mm + Finder, Pola-,6x7- and 6x9-backs with 1 roll film holder adapter), I just decided yesterday that it`s time to sell it. I loved this camera with the 665-Film, but have no use for it without this film. The prices for analog stuff are really down, so I think I am lucky if I will get 500,- Euros.
Wolfgang

Ross Stockwell

Hello

I am a 'digital guy' but have an interest in messing about with polaroid 55 film.

I am aware of the 600se camera and have scoped a few on ebay. I am also alware though (as mentioned above) that the 665/pn film has been discontinued.

Sorry to be clueless on these things but my question - will 55/pn film work in the 600se camera with the existing film back? Does one need a different back (545) in order to use it? In short, is the 600se the camera to get if I want to mess with 55pn film?

Thanks for your advice

Wolfgang Borrs

Ross Stockwell said:
Sorry to be clueless on these things but my question - will 55/pn film work in the 600se camera with the existing film back? Does one need a different back (545) in order to use it? In short, is the 600se the camera to get if I want to mess with 55pn film?

Ross, you can not use the 55 Film with the 600SE, you need a 4x5 with a polaroid back.
Here is a link to Robert Hanashiro talking about his experience at the olympics with this film:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1284
the pictures: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/multimedia/olyathletes/flash.htm

Wolfgang

Ross Stockwell

Wolfgang

Thank you for your reply (I owe you - you just helped save some $$). I also enjoyed the article -sounds about true for the limited experience I have with 4x5. FYI - I am using a 4x5 pinhole camera and using 55p/n film with a polaroid 545 back. Much fun but definitely a differnt way of working.

Thanks so much