• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shakespeare By the Sea

Gary Ayala

One foot south and 120 feet down separates Pt. Fermin Park from the crashing waves of the Pacific. In the midst of huge Magnolia trees, LA's first lighthouse, incredible views of Catalina, whales, ships and coast is the home theater of Shakespeare By the Sea. On summer evenings made chilly by the offshore breeze is a night unequaled by the combination of natures splendor and man's culture. This night was Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.

Clothing and period seemed to be 1930-ish, the contemporary setting added zest and enjoyment to the Bard's tale

346738983_VnpLJ-L.jpg

174537867_sBUEA-L.jpg

174538836_a8MMr-L.jpg

174539162_vmtyy-L.jpg

The entire gallery is here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/3173003_Nns8Z#346738983_VnpLJ

Gary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gary,

The characters in 1930'w period costume are a nice twist. Burt is the bard's dialog altered at all to match the time or does it just work? Thanks for the pictures and the beautiful description of the location. Now I'm ready for so much more. Like where's the lighthouse!

So is there a website? Is it over?

Asher

Gary Ayala

The dialouge still works ... The website is here:
http://www.shakespearebythesea.org/

The cast has two more performances:
Antony & Cleopatra -- Fri, August 8
A Midsummer Night's Dream -- Sat, August 9

Pre-show (where they hit you up for donations) at 7:30pm
Show Time - 8:00pm

The stage is a raised permanent structure, the seating is in the open. Most people get there early and toss down blankets on the benches to secure their seats. I set up folding chairs and shot sitting down from the side (under a huge Magnolia tree). Reserved seating is available, which is combined with a catered dinner for $100 a couple.

I may go on Saturday for a Midsummer Night's Dream

Gary

174540130_idfeb-L.jpg

Gary Ayala

Gary,

The pictures get better and better! How's the acting? $100 per couple is a bargain!

Asher

Actually, the performance is free ... the $100 buys you front and center reserved seating and a catered dinner for two (w/vino). I was entertained, the sound was quite good ... lets put it this way ... as a card carrying member of the working class ... the acting carried the script to the point that the Bard's tongue was quite comprehensible.

Today is the last performance at Pt. Fermin. I shall be in attendance.

Gary

174540248_KYZhQ-L.jpg