• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Glimpse Of Sinulog 2010: Pasigarbo sa Sugbo

karlo reyes

This will be dedicated to the rich culture Cebu holds. 38 provinces showing off their unique Festivals, a celebration like no other! "Pasigarbo sa Sugbo is in its second year, to be held annually during the province's founding anniversary....."

Had a great time shooting the event with friends and fellow photogs! I'll be looking forward to Sinulog 2010 and it's said that it's 10x more awesome! I'm now one shade darker but the experience was priceless! Pasigarbo!

THE ANTICPATION
3833008061_947250876d_b.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
hi ken thanks for the comment, letterboxed? you mean the borders? i know it kinda suppresses or cages the image but i do find it appealing to my taste.=)

Ah, so the large black top/bottom borders are something you've intentionally added to the image. If you like it, by all means, be my guest. I just wondered if you were shooting with a HD video camera such as a RED.

karlo reyes

Ah, so the large black top/bottom borders are something you've intentionally added to the image. If you like it, by all means, be my guest. I just wondered if you were shooting with a HD video camera such as a RED.

i know what you mean ken. =) will be posting more images would appreciate a lot your comments and inputs to make my images better (aside from the borders), all the best!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
The only criticism I could offer is that the shot is leaning towards the right.

Further, not a criticism but an observation, the bokeh (out of focus areas) is not very attractive. I rarely pay much note to such characteristics but in the case of this image most of the feeling is derived from content in the bokeh. Perhaps you've over-sharpened the whole image, rather than masking the foreground girl? Perhaps your lens just features ugly bokeh -- many do. But it really is too edgy and rough. It should be creamy.

karlo reyes

The only criticism I could offer is that the shot is leaning towards the right.

Further, not a criticism but an observation, the bokeh (out of focus areas) is not very attractive. I rarely pay much note to such characteristics but in the case of this image most of the feeling is derived from content in the bokeh. Perhaps you've over-sharpened the whole image, rather than masking the foreground girl? Perhaps your lens just features ugly bokeh -- many do. But it really is too edgy and rough. It should be creamy.

i do notice the image leaning to the right..hmmm with regards to the bokeh i didn't use any masking here. as for the sharpening, shot in raw opened in ACR applied 100 amount, .5 radius, detail (default 25) then before exporting added usm (LAB) 17, 55, 0 that's it. any comments on these process?

karlo reyes

BONGA FESTIVAL (SIBONGA)

Bonga festival is a form of thanksgiving for all the blessings and graces Sibonganhons have received from Sta. Filomena and Our Lady of Pilar especially for the abundant fruits found in the town.Bunga is a Cebuano word which means fruit in English.

#2 INLINE

ISO 125/ 17mm/ f4.5/ (1/500) OF A SEC/ CPL
3833921304_3481ea9a94_b.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
i do notice the image leaning to the right..hmmm with regards to the bokeh i didn't use any masking here. as for the sharpening, shot in raw opened in ACR applied 100 amount, .5 radius, detail (default 25) then before exporting added usm (LAB) 17, 55, 0 that's it. any comments on these process?

You need to be more selective and careful with your sharpening. You may be ruining what would otherwise be lovely backgrounds.

karlo reyes

The festival will display the lechons in various costumes and decorations in a parade. Lechon in Cebu it the best all over the country, it doesn’t need a brown Mang Tomas sauce to make it tasty. inasal-Cebu” had made Cebu unique in the eyes of non-Cebuanos, especially Tagalogs.

#3 INASAL FESTIVAL (TALISAY)
ISO 125/ 17mm/ f4.5/ (1/500) OF A SEC/ CPL
3833159077_b450eaeed1_b.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
ok ken what about with regards on actual figures on sharpening what would be your style in doing so?

I'm generally a follower of the less-is-more school of sharpening. For that top image I would use a brush to apply very selective sharpening on the foreground figure and leave the rest of the image alone.

Over-sharpening is one of the worst post-processing mistakes you can make.

Andy Haynes

as for the sharpening, shot in raw opened in ACR applied 100 amount, .5 radius, detail (default 25) then before exporting added usm (LAB) 17, 55, 0 that's it. any comments on these process?

If the images is going out via photoshop then i'd do no sharpening at all in ACR. That way you can sharpen each channel individually to best effect. When you apply USM in LAB is it just the L channel or are you sherpening all three?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Karlo,

Firstly, sharpening for capture loss of detail at ACR stage is only needed if you are going to use the image at 100% size or even enlarge it further. If the end destination is the web, i.e. downsizing will happen along the line somewhere, do not do capture sharpening at all! So set the sliders in ACR to zero.

Secondly, doing sharpening in the LAB color space (which means a conversion into the LAB space) is old practice and no longer necessary. Just duplicate the final image into a layer on top, apply USM sharpening to that layer and set the blending to luminosity and perhaps do some blend-if adjustments if there are haloes in the highlights. Or you can skip the extra layer step and use instead the step back option after applying the USM filter and therein select luminosity blending.

karlo reyes

If the images is going out via photoshop then i'd do no sharpening at all in ACR. That way you can sharpen each channel individually to best effect. When you apply USM in LAB is it just the L channel or are you sherpening all three?

hi andy thank you for giving time to comment. with regards to Lab sharpening I only sharpen the L channel not all three.

karlo reyes

Hi Karlo,

Firstly, sharpening for capture loss of detail at ACR stage is only needed if you are going to use the image at 100% size or even enlarge it further. If the end destination is the web, i.e. downsizing will happen along the line somewhere, do not do capture sharpening at all! So set the sliders in ACR to zero.

Secondly, doing sharpening in the LAB color space (which means a conversion into the LAB space) is old practice and no longer necessary. Just duplicate the final image into a layer on top, apply USM sharpening to that layer and set the blending to luminosity and perhaps do some blend-if adjustments if there are haloes in the highlights. Or you can skip the extra layer step and use instead the step back option after applying the USM filter and therein select luminosity blending.

hi cem,

thanks for the tips. i've researched and asked photogs here in the Philippines as well that Lab Sharpening despite being an old practice is still an effective tool. the reason why im applying acr sharpening is to maximize the detail in raw so that minimal sharpening will be done in Photoshop. nonetheless, i can always do the process you stated above then lets compare the difference again. all the best!

much respect,
karlo

hi andy thank you for giving time to comment. with regards to Lab sharpening I only sharpen the L channel not all three.

Hi Karlo,

But do you convert to Lab mode for that, and then back to RGB for final output? The mere 2x conversion alone will potentially introduce a loss of color accuracy. Besides, as Cem pointed out, there are better methods that don't potentially destroy color accuracy because you can stay in RGB mode.

The use of a luminosity sharpening layer adds even more control, because parts of the image can be masked out, and the "blend-if" method reduces the risk of halos and clipping. The creation of such a layer can be easily done with an action.

Here is a demonstration of the Blend-if setup:
Non-clipped-sharpening.png

Cheers,
Bart

karlo reyes

hi bart,

yup i know how to do that process. i do convert first to lab select L channel apply 17% 55 0, convert back to rgb no sharpening anymore. now im getting confused a lot of sharpening techniques out there! haha ill compare and post resultes here will be attaching 100% crop for each. thanks a lot bart for giving time to comment and also give screen shots! cheers!

much respect,
karlo

karlo reyes

"Legend states that a Spaniard was walking around the place and met a townfolk near a bubbling underground spring situated along the coast of the town. The Spaniard asked the folk in Spanish as to the name of the place. The folk unable to perceive the Spanish language answered “bocal bocal” for he discerned that the Spaniard was asking about the bubbling spring. Bocal-bocal was a tongue twister to the Spaniard hence Moalboal."

#4 KAGSANGAN FESTIVAL (MOALBOAL)

ISO 100/ 32mm/ f8/ (1/125) of a sec/ CPL
3841563292_9ffa532176_b.jpg

karlo reyes

Utanon festival is a celebration of good harvest through dance and music--- through music because the town of Dalaguete is not only known as the vegetable basket of the province but the music capital of the island as well.

UTANON FESTIVAL (DALAGUETE)
ISO 125/ 28mm/ f4/ (1/500) of a sec/ CPL
3841434673_790df18acf_b.jpg