• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony Vaio Z-Series laptop

For anyone wondering about the new Sony Vaio Z series, take this for what its worth. I can find only one single flaw: price.

- It's fast.
- It's got legs (6 hrs. battery life)
- It's beautiful - the screen makes me realize how badly I need to update my desktop monitor
- It's easy on the fingers - I really like the keyboard - very tactile - good and firm but quiet.
- It's easy going - the built-in DVD reader/writer... well, its obvious (as compared to the Air)

Small, light & supposedly durable (I don't want to know), I think I'll be happy.

FYI. Feel free to ask questions if you're wondering - you now know someone who has one!

While I'm sure the the TZ would interest some, I associate the "T" with "tiny"... and I'm glad I didn't get one now!

The Z is small, but it's not too small. While waiting for mine to arrive, I worried more than once about its size. However, the screen is actually 120 dpi and even though it's small, it's enjoyable to read from.

joedekreon

Hi ,

I am also having Vaio TZ laptop, yes it is having overheating issues .. but rest all features are good,

Thanks

This is not specifically a Sony comment but one of the main problems of laptops in general has been their shortcomings in colour and tonal display from a colour management point of view. I remember there was an announcement some months ago of a laptop that was compatible with colour management although not cheap (I don't remember what it was).

It would be interesting if there were an online resource that calibrated and profiled laptops from cheap to expensive ones and then published the results (eg Delta-Es using a standard package and methodology).

Regards,
Murray

I agree. It seems there is a shortage of information there. So many laptops... each with different screen characteristics...

As for the Vaio Z, just eyeballing the before and after using EyeMatch, out of all my monitors, the one on this laptop exhibited the least difference. In other words, it was pretty close from the factory, in my experience. I attribute this to the LED backlight... but that is just my own personal theory... its the first new laptop I've owned, period.

Jeremy Lawrence

I have a 13" Vaio Z model, which is now in it's 4th year of use and has done a fine job and a fair bit of travelling and photoshopping. Very pleased with it. Screen has proven to be pretty accurate too. I've done of lot of photo-editing on location and rarely had to re-tweak on the dual monitors at home.
Not only that, it has a better keyboard than a 17" Apple laptop.
Not cheap though. I paid £1700 for mine IIRC.

Nigel Allan

I too have a 3.5 year old Vaio 13.3" laptop (Z) and even though I paid £1200 for mine at the time it is still going strong and just the right size - not too big and not too small. The only issue with any laptop is that all the manufacturers exaggerate the battery life and afetr a year or two it will lose its charge very quickly indeed. Mine runs mainly on the mains when I am away and it is brilliant.

Couldn't recommend this size (Z series) high enough...yes you are paying a little over the odds for beauty, elegance and lovely function, but I have never ahd a problem with it

Nigel,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who overpaid, I mean besides all those Apple customers =). Seriously, quality does usually cost a little more.

My battery life is probably not what it used to be either - I don't use it on battery too frequently though. I found out about the battery saver function in the VAIO control panel - it only allows an 80% charge and is supposed to extend the life of the battery. So now my battery sessions are shorter but hopefully it will keep them from getting really shorter...

I really like the 13" size too. I just upgraded my Z to Windows 7, including restoring all the Sony keyboard and control utilities. It was not an entirely obvious process, so if you or anyone else is interested, I can outline the key steps and resources.