Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Windows on PC

Windows on PC Win OS running on a non-Mac Platform

Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM

Default Safari 3.1 for windows released

I just noticed that Apple have released a new version of Safari for Windows v 3.1 here
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I am downloading it right now to give it a go on my XP. I use Opera for browsing so I am not haivng high expectations of Safari but who knows ;-).

Cheers,

Cem
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM

Does anyone use it? How does it compare to firefox.

Ron
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Wasn't there a security warning for Safari - both on Mac and this week for Windows?!

Let's be honest - old-time Opera user I am - Safari hasn't brought anything to Web browsing the Norwegians [and then the Mozilla guys and dolls] haven't done long before. Except colour management. Begging the question: Who exactly needs CM in a Web browser?

Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Breeze DownloaderPro, Capture NX2, xMedia2, IDimager, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierk Haasis View Post
Wasn't there a security warning for Safari - both on Mac and this week for Windows?!

Let's be honest - old-time Opera user I am - Safari hasn't brought anything to Web browsing the Norwegians [and then the Mozilla guys and dolls] haven't done long before. Except colour management. Begging the question: Who exactly needs CM in a Web browser?
Hi Dierk

I guess most of us! you cannot imagine how many pictures are posted in OPF and not being sRGB (the only color space well rendered when you don't have CM…)!
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Sorry Nicolas, since most browsers are not CM'ed at all, they do not show colours in any space but the monitor's own. If the monitor can do more [most can] than sRGB, these colours are used. If the monitor reproduces less colours than sRGB contains, the photos are shown with less. Like, if you use a b/w monitor you won't seesRGB colours; same in the other direction, if a photo contains other colours than sRGB and your monitor, say one of those fancy NECs with >aRGB spaces, you'll see these colours through a browser.

Regardless, my question stands. Be aware that I find the term 'soft proof' extremely irritating.

Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Breeze DownloaderPro, Capture NX2, xMedia2, IDimager, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
I find the term 'soft proof' extremely irritating
That's a minimum with l a ton of flees! LoL

Quote:
they do not show colours in any space but the monitor's own
they just show them wrong if the image has been prepared with Adobre RGB or any other non sRGB profile…
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
they just show them wrong if the image has been prepared with Adobre RGB or any other non sRGB profile…
Unless the monitor profile contains the same colours as the pic's.

On another note, I compared several profiles with many images, especially aRGB, sRGB and ProPhotoRGB [thrown in Bruce and two others, which are completely uninteresting]. Turns out you need huge differences to really count. If your photo is in ProPhoto and you look at it in a browser the difference is obvious even if you cannot compare directly [right against wrong]. sRGB and aRGB are so close, identical in most areas with slight differences in favour of both, depending on which colour region you look at, it shouldn't often matter, even with direct comparison. I grant exception to all ... perfectionists*.

Oh, if you work in CMYK you get into real trouble ...

*Put in the appropriate but not necessarily forum-save psychological term if you don't like perfectionists.

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM

I suppose it depends upon what type of LCD screen you are using.

I have a wideRGB LCD screen and sRGB images are rendered terribly in a non CM browser.

I have enabled CM in Firefox 3 and assuming web images are saved with an appropriate profile, I now see them properly.