• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Busiest joint in Town

Robert Watcher

The busiest place at night in Xela. And great cheap food. Churrasco a la parrilla con salsa chimichurri or Pollo Asado. Yuummyyy. Not just this line up, but also along the wall of the soccer stadium to the right, there is a line of probably 30 stools where people are eating. A constant turn over of patrons.

Out shooting some video at Central Park, with my Olympus EM-1 tonight —-- so I can try out the incredible LumaFusion video editing software on my iPad. After a bite to eat, Anne and I headed home on the mile treck - passing this Food Truck. I had to stop and pull my camera out of my backpack and take a shot.

Olympus EM-1 w/14-42mm kit lens @ 15mm - f3.6@1/60’th sec - ISO 12,800

F2A57424-549F-4774-BA2F-C9D5D15A3D89.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When you talk of “cheap” food, I have to start to worry. When you say “yummy” that means you have tasted it!

Robert, are you now immune to the local germs or what?

Or doesn’t Montezuma’s revenge ever reach you there in Xela?

Asher

Robert Watcher

When you talk of “cheap” food, I have to start to worry. When you say “yummy” that means you have tasted it!

Robert, are you now immune to the local germs or what?

Or doesn’t Montezuma’s revenge ever reach you there in Xela?

Asher

Anne and I are very fortunate. Our stomachs and physiology appear to be durable and built for these countries. 10-1/2 years now since we began our extended stays in Central America, eating local dishes and not fearing eating street food - has born that out. We aren’t careless though, and for the most part the cities provide higher standards than might be experienced in the poor rural areas. Even the tap water in any cities we have been in, is considered drinkable.

Yes we have eaten at this place. It is only open at night. People in Guatemala eat late compared to Canadians. So this time of 8:30/9:00 when I took the shot, is normal supper time for the locals. We hear the ladies in our neighbourhood patting away making fresh tortillas to sell - at this time of night. Lunch is generally sometime between 2:00-3:30 in the afternoon.

———

Asher Kelman

You are both fortunate, developed immunity, or else have indeed stomachs of iron!

BTW, at 12,800 ISO, do you do noisexremoval, or only for prints?

....or perphaps, “Bicubic sharpener” in Photoshop for your size reduction algorithm, does it for you, hiding the noise?

....and you don’t have wider aperture lenses?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I pretty much avoid street food in Cali. The problem is if a street vender doesn't sell all his empanadas or papas rellenas he often doesn't throw them out but puts them out again the next day.

Asher Kelman

For me, even a slice of fresh lime in my beer is enough to bring me some intestinal bug in South America or Africa!

I would not make a great conquistador or traveling preacher!

Asher

Robert Watcher

You are both fortunate, developed immunity, or else have indeed stomachs of iron!

BTW, at 12,800 ISO, do you do noisexremoval, or only for prints?

....or perphaps, “Bicubic sharpener” in Photoshop for your size reduction algorithm, does it for you, hiding the noise?

....and you don’t have wider aperture lenses?

Asher

Pretty amazing to me that there is a totally usable picture at 12,800 ISO from a micro four thirds camera. Noise reduction was turned OFF in the camera. I didn’t want smudging from that feature. For prints I would actually add Noise (grain) for an enhanced appearance and sharpness. This image was taken from my camera, straight into My iPad and processed in Snapseed for online use. No care was taken to get the best out of it as I might do with special images by Importing into Lightroom or Photoshop for processing and resizing. Even if I had a wider aperture lens, I wouldn’t be using any wider an aperture. Probably would close it down to f4 or f5.6 for critical focus through the image.

———