• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How do you learn to "see?"

Alain Briot

pro member
Rachel,

A way for you to find out what you know would be to work towards creating an image in which there is visual ambiguity. The examples provided by Ken, as well as his excellent explanations, provide a strong starting point.

Further study of what makes images ambiguous would also be helpful. Here's another example from the same catalog Ken used earlier on. Here the ambiguity is created by the juxtaposition of two elements that evoke different feelings. The ruined teahouse and the balloon salesman: ruins of a former life versus the joyful events for which balloons are bought.

http://www.phillipsdepury.com/auctions/lot-detail.aspx?sn=UK040408&search=&p=&order=&lotnum=78

What you know or don't know would then become clear, in regards to the ability to create ambiguous images. If you succeed, you know how to do it. If you fail, you don't know how to do it.

Empiricism works well with art.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Alain,

I'm so pleased you used that particular photograph as an example. That picture appears so simple but could be the basis for major social, religious and political discussions. Finally it's also beautiful in it's design and execution.

It brings both tears to adults and joy to children, the tea house and the balloons.

Asher

Rachel Foster

That image immediately conveys strong emotions. Before I devolve into public self analysis I think I'll simply say that producing images that strong is a scary thought.

Bill Miller

That image immediately conveys strong emotions. Before I devolve into public self analysis I think I'll simply say that producing images that strong is a scary thought.

This image may trigger emotions from some viewers. Simon Norfolk, the photographer was a photojournalist, shooting primarily left-wing causes. Go to his web site, "Afghanistan: chronotopia" http://www.simonnorfolk.com Here you will see a series taken with a 4x5 view camera, including #78 in the auction which sold for 13,750 British Pounds. The full caption reads "Former teahouse in a park next to the Afghan Exhibition of Economic and Social Achievements in the Shah Shahid district of Kabul. Balloons were illegal under the Taliban, but now balloon-sellers are common on the streets of Kabul providing cheap treats for children."

Alain Briot

pro member

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra