• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Third Wedding - Second Shooter

Sydney Rester

Wedding #3, Second shooting. I didn't have the chance to get as many candids as I would have liked on this wedding. The girls ran 2 hours late getting hair and make-up done so we had to rush through photos. I'll post a few others in a second.

I'm seeing the bride's dress come through cooler than it should on these (bluish cast).

1162236531_8SXLc-X2-1.jpg

1162236063_x6WFT-X2-1.jpg

1162236592_DcEA4-X2-2.jpg

1162236255_kV8mN-X2-1.jpg

Sydney Rester

Third Wedding - Second Shooter (a few more)

The difficulty of being second shooter is clear here. I love the colors and set up of #2 but obviously the primary had the perfect angle while I wasn't exactly in the right place. I still really like how the colors and clarity and contrast worked out on those shots against the barn.

1162236279_SWAbx-X2-1.jpg

1162236298_FPzzk-X2-1.jpg

1162236068_sv556-X2-2.jpg

1162236062_MaNNW-X2-1.jpg

I realy really love the dancing queen, what a beautiful shot, very natural yet technically perfect (angle, comp etc...)Just regret a bit lack of details in the dress (looks like a bit too contrasty maybe) I also see the the dress slightly blue on the colour ones, but I just had my screen calibrated and still don't know if I'm perfectly accurate... Others will tell. My favourite in colour is the 3rd...Very nice work!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Sydney Rester: Untitled Candid

Sydney,

This is wonderful showing a confident guy and a happy and sweet bride and is my favorite of the bunch.

Be careful to sharpen only the lips eyes and hair but not the nose, chin and cheeks unless there's a special reason.

How's the masking going?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
White Balance

Watch your white balance - the dress is too blue and watch your exposure for the detail. If there is a lot of green you will want to be careful there too. I know as 2nd you don't have as much creative control, but you could also shoot wider. Most of your images are 3/4 body. Those dresses are expensive and the brides really like seeing the whole enchilada.

Jean Henderson

Hi Sydney,

As a long time ago second shooter, I would encourage you to find out what the boss wants you to get first; then, second, look for you own opportunities. For example, did the boss actually want you to cover her/his shots? Or, would s/he have been OK with it if you had done some candids of the onlookers while the more official stuff was being done? (More different people/more sales.)

Concerning the blue cast, which I find disturbing, are YOU calibrated correctly?

My absolute favorite is the dancing queen, too. While the dress could indeed use more detail, the bride's exuberance and posture (which re-enforces that exuberance for me) epitomizes the fact that this is HER day, the blushing bride modernized in all her glory! Well done!!!

Jean

Sydney Rester

Hi Sydney,

As a long time ago second shooter, I would encourage you to find out what the boss wants you to get first; then, second, look for you own opportunities. For example, did the boss actually want you to cover her/his shots? Or, would s/he have been OK with it if you had done some candids of the onlookers while the more official stuff was being done? (More different people/more sales.)

Concerning the blue cast, which I find disturbing, are YOU calibrated correctly?

My absolute favorite is the dancing queen, too. While the dress could indeed use more detail, the bride's exuberance and posture (which re-enforces that exuberance for me) epitomizes the fact that this is HER day, the blushing bride modernized in all her glory! Well done!!!

Jean

Hey Jean. Actually it's kind of a misnomer to say I'm shooting second but too complicated generally to get into the whole story. I was really shadowing the "boss" because I'll be taking on weddings as a primary for dates where she is booked starting this summer in July (basically she's hired me as an associate photographer). I had a little more freedom to be creative at the last wedding we did together because I think she feels like she's trained me to know what she and her customers want. I got to relax a bit and go play with the 70-200 I had rented and shoot candids. Fun fun fun.

My monitor is actually calibrated. Not sure I use the greatest system, just Spyder3Pro(?). I'll have to re-edit those from scratch and see if I can pick up where the blue is sneaking in. It's very odd because usually if I'm guilty, it's because I turned everything yellow. There are plenty of those examples all over my website I am sure :)

Sydney Rester

Sydney,

Were the photographers not invited to the hair and make-up scene? These can make some wonderful candids.

Jean

Oh also - yes, we were there. But this bride didn't want any pictures taken until she was all dressed and ready. Which was a shame because the scene was 12 girls who had TOTALLY taken over a hair salon in a small downtown Texas town. It would have been GREAT for photos!

Asher Kelman

Oh also - yes, we were there. But this bride didn't want any pictures taken until she was all dressed and ready. Which was a shame because the scene was 12 girls who had TOTALLY taken over a hair salon in a small downtown Texas town. It would have been GREAT for photos!

That's when I'd have taken the pictures surreptitiously! If caught, "You all look so beautiful!" and anything you don't like, we'll delete afterwards!!"

As far as the color is concerned, have the pro lab deal with it!

Asher

Otto Haring

Wedding #3, Second shooting. I didn't have the chance to get as many candids as I would have liked on this wedding. The girls ran 2 hours late getting hair and make-up done so we had to rush through photos. I'll post a few others in a second.

I'm seeing the bride's dress come through cooler than it should on these (bluish cast).

1162236531_8SXLc-X2-1.jpg

1162236063_x6WFT-X2-1.jpg

1162236592_DcEA4-X2-2.jpg

Very nice flower photo! :) How do you like the 135mm : by the way? I am thinking getting one....

Sydney Rester

Thanks! A quick search of my posts from this forum should show just how much I love the 135L. Love love love it. I have not used it as much on my wedding work. Sometimes it's just too long as things are moving and changing quickly. I've found for weddings I tend to use either my 50, 85, or the 70-200. For portrait sessions, I adore the 135. You can't go wrong with it. Seriously.

Asher Kelman

Sydney,

When you're good enough to realize the limits of each lens, your probably ready to be on your own: First shooter!!

Asher