• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getting mp3 and all other files to iPad/iPhone wirelessly

Robert Watcher

One of the big bugaboos related to IOS devices, has been transfer of files between the tablet or phone and laptops or towers. Especially there has been a frustration trying to get mp3 files moved or copied, without having to rely on iTunes and the copyright issues involved in that process.

For about 3 years I have been using an incredible FREE piece of software for all of my file file management on my iPad and iPhone. I love structure and everything in one place - and that is exactly what I get from Readdle Documents. All of my PDF, word, text, zip files get dumped into appropriate folders that I have created - and all formats can be read from inside Documents. Nice and simple.

Many features have been added over the years that make Documents even more versatile. Integrated in the side menu list are access to most common cloud services like Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc. Also FTP so that I can access and transfer files to and from my server.

One of the nice newer features is Wi-Fi Transfer. Click on that link and a screen shows up with the camera to capture the QR code from the provided URL. There before me is the folder structure of my laptop - Mac or PC. Drag and Drop to your hearts content.

The other day I transferred a boatload of music files that I have had for years, over to my iPad. Obviously iTunes can’t be used to play the music files, but no worries because Documents has very nice audio and video players built in. In fact Documents has its own integrated web browser, which allows to download videos into Dropbox - that only play when downloaded through the normal browser.

Best thing is that Documents is fully functional and the is no bombardment of advertising like there normally is with FREE apps. BTW it is also available for Android devices.

Now that I am set up on my iPad/iPhone with the incredible video editing software LumaFusion, Documents is even more useful for managing all of my assets and transferring them wirelessly between devices. If you weren’t aware of Readdle Documents before, I hope you find it useful if you choose to give it a try.

untitled-384fd23bfddfcbd79.png

untitled-4-1.png

Jerome Marot

Especially there has been a frustration trying to get mp3 files moved or copied, without having to rely on iTunes and the copyright issues involved in that process.

I am not really sure I understand the problem. About 10 years ago, I read my CDs into iTunes. Now, I just need to tell iTunes to send the music to my phone or tablet and there they are. It also works via Wifi.

It is a bit more involved with self-created videos, but it works.

Itunes does not work in the other direction, but neither does the app you described. Still: thank you for the pointer to what appears to be a competent alternative.

As yet another alternative, I have a Synology raid server. It comes with an app similar to yours.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am not really sure I understand the problem. About 10 years ago, I read my CDs into iTunes. Now, I just need to tell iTunes to send the music to my phone or tablet and there they are. It also works via Wifi.

It is a bit more involved with self-created videos, but it works.

Itunes does not work in the other direction, but neither does the app you described. Still: thank you for the pointer to what appears to be a competent alternative.

As yet another alternative, I have a Synology raid server. It comes with an app similar to yours.

Jerome,

iPhoto also worked well. But Apple changes things. “Photo” replaced iPhoto and originally worked automatically uploading pictures from the iPhone but for the past 6 months refuses to bring in more than a few from the past several days! Also software seems to grow in size and complexity.

Could be that when onevof us looks for a necessary solution to a software “barrier”, we might be merely experiencing some conditional bug, flaw or unintended hidden setting in otherwise competent app.

Asher

Asher Kelman

....and, BTW, Jerome,

I am impressed with , (and interested in), your use of a Synology server as I am currently looking at NAS for my own 55 TB of data

Asher

Asher Kelman

Robert,

So, I found your Readdle Documents! ?

I am amazed that the company gives away all these apparently mature tools for free and without ADS! What could be their buisiness model? Do they just get folk to use the apps until Apple or some other wealthy buyer comes along?

....or this is just an act of “public service” and generosity?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

So, I found your Readdle Documents! ?

I am amazed that the company gives away all these apparently mature tools for free and without ADS! What could be their buisiness model? Do they just get folk to use the apps until Apple or some other wealthy buyer comes along?

....or this is just an act of “public service” and generosity?

Asher

I don’t know Asher. But I know it is a wonderful and stable tool for handling and organizing all sorts of files on IOS. I can even zip and unzip contents from within Documents. Very useful for web design applications, plugins, folder structures - that are efficiently distributed by zipping them into one package. Every file that I want to store goes into my folder structure in the app - ePub, PDF, txt, Word and any other format anyone sends me. You can even sync directories and folders. There is nothing better that I have tried.

Jerome Marot

iPhoto also worked well. But Apple changes things. “Photo” replaced iPhoto and originally worked automatically uploading pictures from the iPhone but for the past 6 months refuses to bring in more than a few from the past several days! Also software seems to grow in size and complexity.

I am sorry, but it seems that Apple decided that photography is dead, except on the iPhone. The sad part is that they may be right.
I still need to mourn the death of Aperture myself.

I am impressed with , (and interested in), your use of a Synology server as I am currently looking at NAS for my own 55 TB of data

You would need an 8 bays model for that. I only have a 4 bays model.

55 TB is lots and lots of data.

Asher Kelman

I am sorry, but it seems that Apple decided that photography is dead, except on the iPhone. The sad part is that they may be right.
I still need to mourn the death of Aperture myself.

Most of the needs of photography will be taken over by smart phones. With AI the need for high pixel density sensors for most photography will vanish.

You would need an 8 bays model for that. I only have a 4 bays model.

55 TB is lots and lots of data.

So far on sorting just about TB, it seems that ~10% are duplicates

........ and of the rest half are not needed! But that’s the problem!

One must have a system for either inexpensively storing images or else a brutal system for finding tgevones one can delete.....and the time to do it.

In lieu of that, for now, I am treating everything as valuable.

It’s made me aware that it’s so foolish using a high MP camera in situations where lightweight jpgs are perfectly adequate!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome, Robert and anyone else who knows more than I do about servers!

I am looking at ZFS in “FreeNAS” and also “Softraid” for a RAID. Any ideas or opinions.

Asher