• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night Light Streaks

Robert Watcher

Anne and I climbed up the high highway overpass at the main intersection outside Metrocentro Mall in San Miguel, El Salvador at dusk tonight to grab a shot or two from this angle. It was cool showing our active volcano Chaparrastique in the background.

I set up my Olympus E-M1 w/ 11-22 f2.8 lens on my small travel tripod and turned the top dial to M - which is set as a Function with everything ready to go for Live Composite. My biggest challenge was waiting for the strong vibrations to stop from people climbing the stairs and walking across the metal structure. As well it is hard getting good light streaks around here, because even at this time of night, all kinds of people didn’t have their lights on —- and more people than not don’t have functioning red taillights. @rswpix

5DDC54D0-8143-4503-B12C-D51B0D6513E3.jpg

————

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful!

But what is the difference between “Live Composite” and a low ISO and f16 or “B”?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Beautiful!

But what is the difference between “Live Composite” and a low ISO and f16 or “B”?

Asher

Bulb or timer mode will just keep building and building with light until it is overexposed. Live Composite is a constant addition of exposures where only the highlights are added. There will not be overexposure of a whole scene even you you were to leave the shutter open for a very long time.

This setting creates a totally different environment than using a bulb setting. As an example say a scene like this - you could take a whole bunch of different shots while watching the Streaks build on the LCD screen and close the shutter at any length of time from a second to say 60 seconds or an hour - the exposure of the scene will be exactly the same in each, properly exposed except for the effect of the highlights or streaks building up. With a bulb setting, a one second exposure would look totally different from a 60 second exposure.

For this Live Composite image, the base exposure was ISO set to 100, f16 @ 2 seconds and then hundreds of exposures were added to that properly exposed base image - registering only additional highlights until I press the shutter to stop the image being produced. This was a several minute long exposure in total.

——-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bulb or timer mode will just keep building and building with light until it is overexposed. Live Composite is a constant addition of exposures where only the highlights are added. There will not be overexposure of a whole scene even you you were to leave the shutter open for a very long time.

This setting creates a totally different environment than using a bulb setting. As an example say a scene like this - you could take a whole bunch of different shots while watching the Streaks build on the LCD screen and close the shutter at any length of time from a second to say 60 seconds or an hour - the exposure of the scene will be exactly the same in each, properly exposed except for the effect of the highlights or streaks building up. With a bulb setting, a one second exposure would look totally different from a 60 second exposure.

For this Live Composite image, the base exposure was ISO set to 100, f16 @ 2 seconds and then hundreds of exposures were added to that properly exposed base image - registering only additional highlights until I press the shutter to stop the image being produced. This was a several minute long exposure in total.

——-

Interesting, Robert that you also chose low ISO and f16!

I love this feature. I wonde which other camera makes have it?

Asher