• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help Deleting Posts

Lucio Gomes

How can I delete my threads?
I click the Edit/Delete button but I can't find a way to cancel/delete
the threads; it only lets me edit.

HELP!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Lucio,

You can simply delete everything and we clean up!

This starts from not having threads altered, censored or cut off. That's part of our open forum which we treasure. So we, in general don't like changes, although we do it all the time. first you can edit your post for a certain time period. After that the post is fixed. If there are issues we need to deal with without altering the sense of the thread a moderator will help you. Or else Nicolas Claris and I are always avaialble.

If no one has substantially rssponded to a thread we have no angst to removing the thread. OTOH is other photographers have gone to the trouble of poating, we might hesitate. Each case is on it's own and we try to be immediately responsive. We have deleted things when asked or rpelaced an entire post with new text as long as the thrust was the same.

The first post in a thread is yours. At that point deletion is up to you entirely. Gradually your "ownership" of that thread is diluted by the shared efforts of everyone else.

In other fora, the deletion of the first post removes the entire thread. We see that as grossly unfair since that represents trashing of other points of view and that is contrary to free speech and an open forum.

We are continually learning how to do this better so we are always open to new ideas. We can't be changing things every day of the week but we value any input which is best sent by a PM.

Asher

In brief, if you currently have a thread that needs surgery, let me know! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Lucio,

Glad you brought up the issue of editing of posts.

I have reviewed and updated the various time points related to posts:

The Title: Edit as you wish for 2 hours.

Body of Post: Edit, for up to 6 hours,
  1. If not yet answered you can simply replace text with "please delete"
  2. If the post is empty, we'll find it and remove it!
  3. If reply is posted, edit to maintain meaning.

Asher