• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Claris booth at Boat 2011 in Dusseldorf

Cem_Usakligil

EDIT: the posts here have originated in another thread by Bart re. his pictures of patterns. I have moved the exhibition related posts to here in order to prevent the contamination of Bart's original thread.

Hi Bart
talking technique with you is always a pleasure and I always learn something new and interesting! Thanks for that ;-)

The image you saw was printed (no cropped on length!) 6.6 meters long (approx 215 inches)
The image Bart and Nicolas are talking about can be seen in the pictures below. I took them while visiting Nicolas. I am posting on request from Nicolas and with Bart's approval :).

PS: Trying to white balance these properly is a job from hell; due to the mixed bag of light sources all over the place. I could have done a better job but I did not have the time. Since these are pure for your enjoyment and not for publication, I'll leave it at that. At least, for the time being ;-)

f32797.jpg

f32875.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Cem!
are these a part of the one you shot handheld/HDR with your beauty? (Canon 24 TSE…)

I understand your concern about the WB! The 1st picture is quite matching though.
The second one compared to the reality is a little bit too red… (in the blacks, the blues (book) and the red panel and persons.

Thanks for posting, but on top of that, thanks for your visit!

Cem_Usakligil

Bonjour Nicolas,

Thanks Cem!
are these a part of the one you shot handheld/HDR with your beauty? (Canon 24 TSE…)
Yes indeed, I have used the Canon TSE 24mm Mk II on my 5dII to take these pictures. As you say, they were taken handheld as I did not carry my tripod with me to Dusseldorf (pity actually). The lens was tilted very slightly to the left for the second picture in order to get the focal plane cover the whole wall display. To deal with the spectacular highlights, I have bracketed the shots: 3 exposures at -1,0,+1 EV. The slowest bracket shot was set at 1/60s to eliminate shake/blurs. The ISO setting needed then was ISO800. I have used f5 in the first one and f7.1 in the second picture in order to get proper dof. In the post processing, the challenges were: adjusting the WB in the raw conversion, correcting for the keystone and the slight lens barrel, getting rid of the noise, aligning and de-ghosting the brackets, tone mapping as naturally as possible and final contrast and output sharpening. It may seem easy but it never is, right? ;-)

..I understand your concern about the WB! The 1st picture is quite matching though. The second one compared to the reality is a little bit too red… (in the blacks, the blues (book) and the red panel and persons.
I did a rough correction based on your input. Does this one look any better?

f32875_2.jpg

Thanks for posting, but on top of that, thanks for your visit!
It was my pleasure meeting you and Romain again, no thanks needed :)

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Hi Cem
thanks for this new input

much better, but still, in reality the blacks (boat's glass roof) are really black, and red still too red, but I'm viewing on my not calibrated (by far!) laptop.

Enjoy your week-end!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nicolas,

Hi Cem
thanks for this new input

much better, but still, in reality the blacks (boat's glass roof) are really black, and red still too red, but I'm viewing on my not calibrated (by far!) laptop.

Enjoy your week-end!
You are a very hard nut to crack, lol.
Here is my 3rd and for now final attempt. If you need any more modifications, I will have to restart the whole process with you on my side and with a bottle of Bordeaux on the table.

f32875_3.jpg

Cheers,

romain claris

pro member
thank you Cem

Hi Cem,
just a little word to tell you that i was very happy to see you at Düsseldorf on our stand,
that was very interesting to test your camera and lenses for hd video. it is really impressive !
hope to see you soon again
Romain

nicolas claris

Hi Cem
Thanks for this new version… colors looks much more accurate, and, as we're back to Bordeaux, I'll have a look with my calibrated monitor and the 'hard to break nut" will tell ;-)

By the way, for those who haven't been there, it should be understood that on this photo by Cem:
f32797.jpg

it is of course the same image running all width of the new stands…
There is about 1/2 meter "opened" behind the central furniture (with the 2 TV sets).
This is a way to make both stands looks bigger…

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Romain,

Hi Cem,
just a little word to tell you that i was very happy to see you at Düsseldorf on our stand,
that was very interesting to test your camera and lenses for hd video. it is really impressive !
hope to see you soon again
The pleasure was all mine. I am glad you have had the chance to take a look at a DSLR as a possible video camera. The full size sensor (35mm equivalent) offers a much better control of the depth of focus as you have seen. But controlling various aspects during filming (such as adjusting the audio level manually and focusing) necessitates some additional hardware as well as using a video specific firmware instead of the Canon one. But the possibilities are there. Of course, I don't think that this current generation of DSLRs can fully replace the versatility of a dedicated video camera but they are getting close. Hopefully we'll see each other soon again, preferably in Bordeaux. :)

Hi Nicolas,
Hi Cem
Thanks for this new version… colors looks much more accurate, and, as we're back to Bordeaux, I'll have a look with my calibrated monitor and the 'hard to break nut" will tell ;-)
I have eventually given up on tone mapping using one WB conversion as correcting problems in a certain area created problems in some others. Finally I have done 6 different raw to tif conversions to optimize the WB and the exposure for different areas of the picture. After that, I have opened the tif files as layers in PS and have used layer masks to create the resulting picture. I think the same approach also be used for the 1st picture showing the overview of the stands.

Cheers,