• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An unusual meeting

Cem_Usakligil

Please feel free to chime in. :)

l05021.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Amazing shot.
Another way to look at passage, you Cem couldn't miss it.

Well, for once the border is made of flowers! Unusual too…
If only…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have always questioned the claim that a picture should speak for itself. Well here, like a brilliant sunset, roing sand dunes and a mother nursing an infant, the pictures stands well on its own. This doesn't change my opposition to that oft-quoted aphorism, but just affirms my belief that Cem Usakligi can select from life riveting scenes of unusual power with a strong voice and no need for amplification.

l05021.jpg

So impressive and quite important in the long term creative study by you, Cem of what is always two sides of some bubble of reality, past and present, real and unreal, man as a creator who pollutes and man as a contemplative being who can enjoy even a fragment of nature among the spread of industry into their shrinking natural landscape.

I hesitated to write, hoping that others would first discover this photograph's obvious genetic connection to the rich trove of your oeuvre. Thanks to Nicolas, my own assessment is independently voiced by another experienced follower of your work, Nicolas Claris, and with such clarity!

Amazing shot.
Another way to look at passage, you Cem couldn't miss it.

Well, for once the border is made of flowers! Unusual too…
If only…

Bravo Cem!

Bravo Nicolas!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The man on his own reminds me of a dream I have regularly. That in which my old man is returning home but hesitates at the door, not sure if he want to take the next step. It's possible this guy is symbolic of a syndrome we all suffer from time to time. Loneliness and foreboding. All our worldly goods contained in a black suitcase, dragged behind us like a wet blanket; weighty and collecting dirt.
But he is alive at least. Unlike the metal-like figure before him, a model of youth and vigor who only sees bed of flowers beneath his feet. The old man knows the truth. He has lived it. He warns the boy. "Put your shoes on, young man least your feet blister. And the sun scorches your skin. The flowers are temporary. Tomorrow the frost of winter will cut them dry and the path to the past will be obliterated. Youth is as temporary as the blooms. Old age will last until you die. Be sure you can hold the contents of your life in a suitcase otherwise the burden will be too much to carry."

Or he could be waiting for a bus.

Cem_Usakligil

Tom this is a wonderful story. Which is very close to the feelings I've had when I saw the scene unfold before me. The feelings of old age and loneliness. The weary traveller with his luggage. I had only one second between seeing the scene and taking the picture on auto pilot mode. The old man was already starting to reach for his bag from which he retrieved a camera and took a picture of the boy.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom this is a wonderful story. Which is very close to the feelings I've had when I saw the scene unfold before me. The feelings of old age and loneliness. The weary traveller with his luggage. I had only one second between seeing the scene and taking the picture on auto pilot mode. The old men was already starting to reach for his bag from which he retrieved a camera and took a picture of the boy.

How delightful. Just what an old bloke should do.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I showed the picture to Carla and asked her for her observations on it. She said, "Well, it shows age contemplating youth."

I said, "Sure. But the real 'secret' is that the figure on the right is a bronze statue."

She said, "Well, of course! I just assumed everybody knew that."

By the way, she sends her congratulations to the photographer.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The man on his own reminds me of a dream I have regularly. That in which my old man is returning home but hesitates at the door, not sure if he want to take the next step. It's possible this guy is symbolic of a syndrome we all suffer from time to time. Loneliness and foreboding. All our worldly goods contained in a black suitcase, dragged behind us like a wet blanket; weighty and collecting dirt.
But he is alive at least. Unlike the metal-like figure before him, a model of youth and vigor who only sees bed of flowers beneath his feet. The old man knows the truth. He has lived it. He warns the boy. "Put your shoes on, young man least your feet blister. And the sun scorches your skin. The flowers are temporary. Tomorrow the frost of winter will cut them dry and the path to the past will be obliterated. Youth is as temporary as the blooms. Old age will last until you die. Be sure you can hold the contents of your life in a suitcase otherwise the burden will be too much to carry."

Or he could be waiting for a bus.

I love the story, Tom and your recreation of the drama of this brief meeting; creative writing worthy of an unusually memorable photograph!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

My guess was your choice of breakfast.
No, that is preordained. Today, it being a weekday: breakfast A: turkey sausage patty, half a banana, half a grapefruit, half an orange (sliced), half an apple (sliced), bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with cinnamon and milk. Non-edibles: selected pieces from major newspapers (mostly the New York Times); the local newspaper.
Break a leg!
Thanks so much.

More about the play later.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Cem,

If I may digress further off topic in such a fine thread, (one of the most impressive to date).......

Doug,

Young folk have a huge reserve of health and ability to cope with the excesses of almost any Western over-generous diet on occasion! Your breakfast seems very sensible, but perhaps not optimum for you or I!

sausage patty, Not a great idea, Doug, for the elderly, nitrites as preservative, blood and fat!

half a banana, Great source of potassium if your on diuretics, quick cement if you have loose stools!

half a grapefruit, A relevant issue with certain medications - inactivates them - look up effect of grapefruit on drugs and see if anything you're on is amongst them!

(half an orange (sliced), half an apple (sliced), bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with cinnamon and milk. And NYT - won't kill you!)

I suggest a handful of non-roasted, unsalted mixed nuts - cashews, walnuts, pecans and almonds and if you like a portion of 1 poached egg or Greek non- fat yoghurt!

Avoid cereals as they have been heated to an extent that acrylamide forms or else sugar is too rapidly released. Avoid orange and other fruit juices as they give the body an insulin stress test dose of fructose!

Good health!

Now back to confronting youth in Cem's picture!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

Young folk have a huge reserve of health and ability to cope with the excesses of almost any Western over-generous diet on occasion! Your breakfast seems very sensible, but perhaps not optimum for you or I!

sausage patty, Not a great idea, Doug, for the elderly, nitrites as preservative, blood and fat!

half a banana, Great source of potassium if your on diuretics...

I am.

. . . quick cement if you have loose stools!

half a grapefruit, A relevant issue with certain medications - inactivates them - look up effect of grapefruit on drugs and see if anything you're on is amongst them!

Yes, I have looked into that, and have concluded that on balance I will continue with it.

(half an orange (sliced), half an apple (sliced), bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with cinnamon and milk. And NYT - won't kill you!)

I suggest a handful of non-roasted, unsalted mixed nuts - cashews, walnuts, pecans and almonds . .

That would take me permanently out of service through anaphylactic shock! I have a serious allergy to tree nuts and peanuts.

and if you like a portion of 1 poached egg

We do our weekly ration of eggs in breakfast B and breakfast C on Saturday and Sunday, respectively

or Greek non- fat yoghurt!

We do that ad hoc.

Avoid cereals as they have been heated to an extent that acrylamide forms or else sugar is too rapidly released. Avoid orange and other fruit juices as they give the body an insulin stress test dose of fructose!

We don't do fruit juices except as contained in the grapefruit and oranges themselves.

Again thanks for the observations.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Cem,

No, that is preordained. Today, it being a weekday: breakfast A: turkey sausage patty, half a banana, half a grapefruit, half an orange (sliced), half an apple (sliced), bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with cinnamon and milk. Non-edibles: selected pieces from major newspapers (mostly the New York Times); the local newspaper.

Thanks so much.

More about the play later.

Best regards,

Doug

Break 2 legs, Doug. Hardly worth the effort to just break 1. Same with the brekkie thing.
. Why all the halves? Do you do things by halves? My mum said that about me. I don't think she meant it in a flattering way.
I must admit, though, that's some feed bag you put on. It would last me at least a week. I believe gluttony is a virtue in the U.S.

Cheers

Tom dinning

Registrant*
And what the **** is steel cut oatmeal? What else would they cut it with? Wood? Plastic? The other half of the banana?

Asher Kelman

l05021.jpg

What's so remarkable here is that the serious untidiness in the background, including that bright yellow utility box fail to distract and disempower this fortuitous meeting of the man and his youthful discovery!

That thin curve of flowers is like a flourish of an artist's signature, who knows that all that could ever be achieved here has been completed with flourish!

Asher