• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Is the new 'old' young?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Old but Young?

............. let me try once more.

Cheers.

Fahim,

At last it worked and the visit was very worthwhile. The three photographers are interesting to follow but since they were also filmed, it's not clear how they actually got the video and still of the photographers without some connivance.

Still, of course, one appreciates the trio for revealing some of Porta. However, I seriously doubt that these photographers could have been handicapped with a small Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony oe seven a mere digicam from Canon or Nikon. Even if the controls aren't intuitive, the camera that's best in the hands of anyone with talent, is the one that happens to be in their hands. A sensitive artist can work with any camera. I do not believe for one moment that all the pictures would be any less impressive taken if this particular Leica was not available.

BTW, the lack of an LCD screen, if valuable, is achieved by simply keeping it switched off and conserving the battery at the same time.

The reasons for getting the Leica MD are more associated with respect for the lineage of the the venerable Leica name and the many masters who relied on their meticulously German engineered film cameras of yesteryear. Even today, Leica glass is almost in the top flight of possible lens choices.

Still, to me, the Leica camera still have the gravitas of the Rolls Royce of small cameras. But that's like staying in the Waldorf Astoria ands paying $2,400 a night and feeling it's worth it. If you can afford it, and your kids can still get a fine education, then it really is wonderful to make do with the finest things in life.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Dr. Kelman, thank you for your comment.

My medical condition requires that my daily diet contents( and quantity of its constituents ) are strictly controlled.

That I choose to ignore these dietary restrictions ( foolish it is, I agree ) relates to my psychology of food satisfaction. Of course, by following my prescribed diet I am assured of the proper balance of nutrients, and might reduce the further deterioration of my medical condition. However, my hunger is not satiated.

As in the CICU, electrolytes indeed kept me alive. An extreme example, no doubt, but you get the drift of my thoughts. Intravenously administered electrolytes and/saline or whatever else...would not do, for me,
in day-to-day out of the hospital living.

You, sir, are indeed correct in stating that good photographs could be taken with any reasonable modern camera. Some people ( I amongst them ) could justifiably argue, that taking a photograph alone is not sufficient.

It is the psychological satisfaction some derive from using a particular instrument..the satisfaction of the process.. the feel, the handling, that undefinable ' something ' ( real or imagined ) that a person experiences when using a particular instrument ( or camera ) of his/her choice.

' I didn't like the food at that Michelin star restaurant. Why, didn't you eat your fill?, Of course, I did; but I would really have preferred falafel shawarma from the roadside stand. ' It is the psychology, the emotional feeling of having not only had one's fill...but having satiated their hunger too.

Not much different to having sex. To have derived the emotional, psychological and physical satisfaction
of having had a ' fulfilling ' sexual experience as opposed to just a biological one. There is a difference.
Ask any woman, or man. ' I am finished dear '..' Smithers darling, I was waiting for you to start; I was watching ' Upstairs and downstairs dear. Next time make sure to tell me what you are upto my love '.

Of course, I could have turned the lights off, during my early escapades or indeed the current ones. Just like switching the Screen off at the camera back. But it really would not be the same experience, for me, in either of these cases.

The psychological satisfaction. To satiate one's photographic ( and other needs ) is equally, if not more, important to some.

Of course, YMMV.

Fahim,

At last it worked and the visit was very worthwhile. The three photographers are interesting to follow but since they were also filmed, it's not clear how they actually got the video and still of the photographers without some connivance.

Still, of course, one appreciates the trio for revealing some of Porta. However, I seriously doubt that these photographers could have been handicapped with a small Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony oe seven a mere digicam from Canon or Nikon. Even if the controls aren't intuitive, the camera that's best in the hands of anyone with talent, is the one that happens to be in their hands. A sensitive artist can work with any camera. I do not believe for one moment that all the pictures would be any less impressive taken if this particular Leica was not available.

BTW, the lack of an LCD screen, if valuable, is achieved by simply keeping it switched off and conserving the battery at the same time.

The reasons for getting the Leica MD are more associated with respect for the lineage of the the venerable Leica name and the many masters who relied on their meticulously German engineered film cameras of yesteryear. Even today, Leica glass is almost in the top flight of possible lens choices.

Still, to me, the Leica camera still have the gravitas of the Rolls Royce of small cameras. But that's like staying in the Waldorf Astoria ands paying $2,400 a night and feeling it's worth it. If you can afford it, and your kids can still get a fine education, then it really is wonderful to make do with the finest things in life.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

I don't begrudge any user of any Leica camera or lens. To me it's akin to using bespoke bone china for one's choice English tea. One could say that it would taste the same from a paper cup, but it doesn't!

Besides, the Leica name has earned my label of nobility!

Asher

Doug Kerr

I sit here at my desk (recently cleaned off as we are having friends from [The] Netherlands visiting us in a few days) and admire my Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-4.0/9.1-146 Asph. lens, realizing that for only USD 400.00 more the entire (same) camera could have been badged "Leica" rather than merely "Lumix".

For those whose faith is not in the blue dot in the National Enquirer but rather a red dot.

This is not at all to demean my respect for the Leica tradition, although I must admit that this admiration is rather pale before my admiration for Western Electric, or Teletype Corporation (and I keep small artifacts from both on my desk, next to my Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-4.0/9.1-146 Asph.).

Fahim, I admire your outlook on gastronomy, more gourmand than gourmet.

Well, time soon for a wonderful and nourishing breakfast, starting with five kinds of fruit, the result of which is that I will take in about 150 g of carbohydrates rather than the recommended bogey, for those, like myself, afflicted with type 2 insulin-dependent diabetes) of 75 g.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Hi Doug.

I, too, have thought about ' the dots ' on cameras. I gave up the idea, when I realized that I would have
to pay an extra US$ 1500.00 for having my ' red dot ' removed!!

I am indeed considered bit of a gourmet around the house. But I have yet to progress to the coveted title of a ' gourmand ' :)

Enjoy your breakfast and stay well.