• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica M8 v Canon 5D treatment of blacks: files avaialble

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have prepared several files for people to experiement using various black materials commonly found in todays fashions.

The pictures are taken in daylight. No IR or any other filter was used. The M8 has a 28mm lens. The details are in the EXIF.

The 5D has a 21mm Distagon at the same aperture and ISO settings.

Send me an PM with your email to get the DNG Lecia file and the Canon RAW file for processing according to your style.

This is a small jpg version of the 5D file. You'll get the native files from me.

_MG_8102_Blacks_5D-Distagon 21mm.jpg

Please post your impressions and solutions to the purple problem with some blacks in the Leica file. This will allow 200 downloads. and the control 5D file is here.

You can get curves by Jamie Roberts

Please give your feedback and suggestions for future file pairs. This will help us provide files that are helpful.

Cheers,

Asher

Last edited:

Will_Perlis

The IR->magenta shift is amazing! It wasn't so obvious to me when it mostly showed up in the small checks on your shirt. Have you found any easy way to predict what fabrics will produce it?

Asher Kelman

Will, I haven't!

I thought it might be that the shot was outside? Maybe the black surface of the board in the background.

I add a large black board to the side of the "Kenneth Cole" Black Fabric setup outside to see it we could reproduce the studio setup where my shirt had a slight shift. I thought the IR was coming from the black surface. However, it appeared to me to add no further IR except the histogram was very different.

I'll post that file too.

Have you downloaded the profile from Jamie Roberts. He spent more than 10 hours (that he admits! :) ) on that, I bet much more!

Asher

Will_Perlis

No, I haven't tried Jamie's profile yet. I''ll have to read through the thread to see what I need to do. However, it might be interesting to haul out a random number of feet of hangers with clothing on them and see what happens in sunlight & electronic flash.

John Sheehy

Will_Perlis said:
The IR->magenta shift is amazing! It wasn't so obvious to me when it mostly showed up in the small checks on your shirt. Have you found any easy way to predict what fabrics will produce it?

If you have a Sony digicam with "nightshot" mode, you can use the camera's live review to look for NIR-reflecting materials.

Asher Kelman

John,

Unfortunately, we can easily find that just with the M8 camera (or a Minolta Dimage 7 which took in much more IR)!

This matter will hopefully be relegated to quaint history. Within weeks there should be a flood of Leica M8 cameras back from the opticians ready for prime time!

There's still a tremendous amount to be learned about this camera.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Any of the downloaders got results to show yet?

I'd be interested to know any impressions on the files.

Asher

John Sheehy

I wrote:

John Sheehy said:
I am curious as to where that DNG came from; it is 8-bit, and seems to be gamma-encoded.

That was sort of a question, even though it had no question mark. Is this a DNG from the camera, Adobe DNG Converter, or from something like DxO? I am curious as to *who* or *what* made this into an 8-bit gamma-encoded RAW.

Asher Kelman

John Sheehy said:
I wrote:

That was sort of a question, even though it had no question mark. Is this a DNG from the camera, Adobe DNG Converter, or from something like DxO? I am curious as to *who* or *what* made this into an 8-bit gamma-encoded RAW.
O.K, John,

Now I understand your remark. I thought it was merely a shrug in disappointment comment in not getting a 16 BIT DNG files as you might expect!

Leica engineers, for some reason, maybe computing power, maybe to get this to the market fast or cost, went with this output. The CCD chips are, AFAIK, capable of delivering 16BIT output.

In a way, I guess, it seems that Leica is using its lookup tables on its lenses from the coding, (which BTW can be replicated with a fine marker) and doing some preliminary in camera massaging of data, even before it is exported as a DNG file. Still, it would be advantagious for the data, (probably 12 or 14 BIT calculations) should be presented to our RAW processing software without further loss of data.

So did you open the files? I'd love to know what you found comparing the images on the M8 to the 5D done at the same time.

Asher