• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

FujiFilm FinePix F20 - great little pocketable cam!

Chuck Fry

I got my wife a Fuji F20 for our wedding anniversary in October. She had been using a hand-me-down 3MP point-and-shoot and was making really good photos with it, to the point where the camera was limiting her capabilities. The F20 fixes that.

The F20's strong suits are its compact size, 2.5" screen, modest price, wide availability (any Target store has them in stock), and image quality at high ISO. Its weaknesses are no optical viewfinder, modest zoom range, slow autofocus speeds typical of the class, a small proprietary battery, xD memory card, no true manual control, and no raw format. Seems a reasonable tradeoff if you're looking for a shirt-pocket P&S.

Highly recommended.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I got my wife an SD 800. It has IS and a very large bright LCD screen. Only thing I don't like is that the on-off switch illuminates orange, tell everyone they are about to have their picture take. Not subtle! :)

Asher

Last edited:

Chuck Bragg

I knuckled under and ordered the SD700is, a near relative to the SD800, and listened in horror as the substitute UPS guy *threw* it over the fence - we heard it hit the cement walk! My wife didn't want me to even open the package. But, thanks to hard foam packing it was undamaged. More to the point, I got this one after extensive research and it is as good as I had hoped. It does not have the wider angle lens that the SD800 does, but I figured that photostitch or photomerge software is the digital wide angle lens now, for those who plan ahead. We are headed for Egypt next week with four cameras in the bag and no excuses for bad photos!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So when are you leaving? For your travelo, this is a neat camera. I've just seen the reslts with the SD 800 IS and it is excellent. Hopefully you can test your new SD700 IS to make sure it's fine. A 2GB card will give you about 600 shots!

Any birding trips planned for you before you leave?

What camera would you use then?

Asher

Chuck Bragg

Asher - leaving on the 21st. I've been testing and everything is working fine. My old P&Ss will come along as backup. I have a couple of 1GB cards and a Wolverine flash-pak (60GB) instead of a laptop.

No bird trips in between. For a bird/photo trip I'd take the telephoto stuff in my sig *and* the SD700. I'm still trying to decide if the slim chance of finding birds on a trip like this is worth packing the KM5D and the 500 mirror lens. When everything else is packed, we'll see, but this trip has to be centered on big landscapes, architecture and local culture. That's probably enough (!).