• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Files back up

Antonio Correia

Do you back-up your files on line ?

Instead of buying every year external drives, I am tempted to back-up in Crashplan or any other site.

Now I am in the trial period on Crashplan.

What do you do ?

i-GkJzXqd-Th.png

Antonio Correia

Neither am I, Wolfgang.
But I have quite a few of drives and the copy from one to the others is quite time consuming.
How do you manage the several copies of the files, from one drive to another ?
I am planning to have at least, 3 wit the same files.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have too many hard drives and broken promises to go through and remove 3rd and 4th copies and see that I have at least duplicates.

I need to join AWS, Amazon Web Services. They will send me a large case by FEDEX and then I copy all my drives to it and then FEDEX collects it and all my "stuff" is on line, inefficiency and all.

Asher

James Lemon

Huuummm... I am completely lost ! LOL LOL

Hi Antonio

I rebuilt my back-up stystem with some Western Digital red seal 4 terabyte hard drives. I installed them in "Nexstar G" USB hard drive enclosures. They are capable of transfering data @ 6 gigabits per second. My new system has two hard drives for working data and two back-ups labeled (Data 1),(Data 2),(Back-up 1) and (Back up 2). I can transfer data from my computer to all four drives damn fast.

i-bZmhdMV-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

So are you using Crashplan?

Are we supposed to see the Crasplan logo in your post, or does that mean it's not working?!!!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Well, well, well...

I have been out for a rather long time now.

Excuse ? Several: laziness, large occupation on other matters of more importance, little photography... a shame indeed !

Health is OK, now.

Back to topic
I have not subscribed Crashplan but perhaps I should.
During last month I tried to tied up/arrange/organize my keywords in LR and that made me spent lots of time.
I know it is my only fault.
But I was very upset when I verified that I had lost all the collections I had. That accident - which I am the only responsible - stroke me hard.
The photographs were more or less organized and suddenly...
Now, it is a real pain to rebuild the hole Collections. Even impossible.
I am not feeling to do so. I will not do it.

Perhaps Crashplan would have save me ...

Asher Kelman

Well, well, well...

I have been out for a rather long time now.

Excuse ? Several: laziness, large occupation on other matters of more importance, little photography... a shame indeed !

Health is OK, now.

Back to topic
I have not subscribed Crashplan but perhaps I should.
During last month I tried to tied up/arrange/organize my keywords in LR and that made me spent lots of time.
I know it is my only fault.
But I was very upset when I verified that I had lost all the collections I had. That accident - which I am the only responsible - stroke me hard.
The photographs were more or less organized and suddenly...
Now, it is a real pain to rebuild the hole Collections. Even impossible.
I am not feeling to do so. I will not do it.

Perhaps Crashplan would have save me ...

Antonio,

Most often risk taking is without consequence! Did you lose the originals?

You can always dump them into MediaPro and sort them by date and location.

It doesn't take long to find all pictures of India containing sculptural buildings or robed people or Ganges bathing.

You might hire an assistant at $5-$10 an hour to help the sorting.

Then you can grade pictures to pick the best!

I am mining my own gezillions of files right now!

As to back up, AWS!

Asher