• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pocket cameras

Clayton Lofgren

Mike Johnston has written some interesting things about pocket cameras in the last few days at http://www.theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/.
I am somewhat comforted to learn that someone as acomplished as Mike struggles to get what he wants out of his f30, even though it is considered among the better small cameras.
I get a few like this one that are what I expect-
bc02081fcf8049fc838870a219f0302c.jpg

And a few like this that I had expected would turn out much better. This was a rushed shot on a narrow trail. A wider lens and optical viewfinder would of helped.
[
3d0fa6956ff74e5a8b98b8b81df6cba6.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This was a rushed shot on a narrow trail. A wider lens and optical viewfinder would of helped.
[
3d0fa6956ff74e5a8b98b8b81df6cba6.jpg

Hi Clayton,

I feel at the pictures with these small cameras can be better optimized than with the built in algorithms of the digicams.

I did fast selective curves and sharpening for the donkey, children and the rest of the picture. With this little jpg, one cannot do justice to the image, but I think that for sure one can do better.

3d0fa6956ff74e5a8b98b8b81df6cba6AK.jpg

With B&W, this would be even more impressive. RAW would be even better especially with bracketing to get the sky too.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Clayton,

I really like your pictures of the children with their frizzy hair against the sky!

Reminds me of Lorreta Lux's work!

Could you post that image?

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

The hair style seems popular. Will post some more later. These are all grab shots when I am suposed to be working- not much choice about lighting conditions. Have given this one a touch of shadow/highlight.
a2d898bac3d9497c9c97a93240b81124.jpg

Asher Kelman

Clayton,

ll-32.jpg

© Loretta Lux "Boy in Blue Raincoat" 1 Ilfochrome Print 2001

Of course your poses are more alive, her kids have more somber, adult expressions. Still your picture has the clean look evoking some of the sense Loretta Lux's images. If the picture was desat a bit, brightened to overcome shadows, then it's a nice tribute! One part of art that occurs is the turbo-boost effect one can get when a new work can be unconsciously buttressed from cultural iconic images, even ones one doesn't remember seeing, as they have already merged into our visual vocabulary.

These children are put between heaven and earth. That stark placement with a blue sky, is standard in all the Catholic crucifiction images too. So this picture has very strong support from libraries burned into our brains. Note that Loretta's child is placed with more body over the sky, in my mind, increasing the exposure to heaven. Your children, however, seem more securely on this earth, in fact they are part of it.

a2d898bac3d9497c9c97a93240b81124.jpg

Your camera is fine! Good shooting. You're bringing us scenes we wouldn't find nearby. Thanks.

Asher

Last edited:

Clayton Lofgren

Girls in Morocco tend to be a bit shy:
9dc81ac669334657a62414e8fbc9859d.jpg

They will become a bit more confident after seeing the lcd:
6898f3ec332742a590b97f2c47f3277d.jpg

Am letting you tug me towards art, but still like tight crops.
4ace6cce93ee42c9a825494e957c9921.jpg

The ones that got away in Morocco are the elderly, especialy the rural women with all the history in their faces. I will be going back, but It will be tough to get them.

Asher Kelman

Giving the images more punch!

Here one can add a Levels Layer in Photoshop and bring in the black point, the triangle on the left of the top graph. Then one needs to move the midpoint to the left.

The image is still dark and oversaturated.

The former problem is dealt with by an S-curve, which also increases contrast. The latter we ignore for the moment.

Picture8.jpg

Will give a brighter image and then one caan gently sharpen.

4ace6cce93ee42c9a825494e957c9921.jpg

Then the image needs to be reduced in saturation, sharpened and we're done

Asher