• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wedding Spam Warning

This was definitely not what I ws looking for when I subscribed to PPA and Portfolio. Nevertheless, that's the harsh reality of life.

Below is the original message from yesterday, my vague reply (I realized it's a total scam AFTER I replied) and their second message I recieved this morning. I forwarded the whole thing to spam@uce.gov.

HTH

Thanks so much for the response , there are few things we want you to know as regards our wedding , presently Latanya and i are still in iraq ,we will be back home in the next few weeks , we know this is going to be an amazing day cos none of us ever believed this will happen .
The Holy matrimony will starts by 10:00 to 10:30 am ,and the receptions starts immediately till about 12pm, we are expecting about 40 to 60 guests on that day. the event will be taken place at my parents house in Los Angeles CA.
package .... is within our budget , let us know if there are extra charges as regards transportation , we want you to try and be understanding as regards the prices cos its not really easy to organise occasions like this especially when you are making all the arrangements from abroad , we would also want to know if its necessary to make an advance deposit payment in order to secure the date , let us know if we need to sign any contract as regards the agreement ,before the wedding . Dont hesitate to ask if you have any further question ,
Thanks
George
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:08:39 -0700
> From: me
> To: georgeholmes42@hotmail.com[/EMAIL">georgeholmes42@hotmail.com"]georgeholmes42@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Photography !!!
>
> Hi George,
>
> What is your phone number and what is the best time that can I reach
> you at it, so we can discuss the details?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> On 10/24/07, george Holmes <georgeholmes42@hotmail.com[/EMAIL">georgeholmes42@hotmail.com"]georgeholmes42@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Goodday Nikolai Sklobovsky,
> >
> > This is Latanya and George , We are in the U.S. Army we met in Iraq
> > sometimes ago and we will be getting Married on Saturday , 17th of
> > November ,2007 , and we want you to be our photographer of the day .
> >
> > Let us know if you are available on that day and we would also love to know
> > your package prices .
> > we hope to get the best from you .
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Yours Sincerely
> >
> > Geoerge

James Roberts

Doesn't look like spam yet to me. They haven't asked you to cash a cheque or be their bank agent or direct any funds to Nigeria.

Yet. :) Though I admit it seems quite unlikely to be true.

Google for it, it's the same thing...
They will send you a phony check with a way more money than needed and will ask to return the difference asap (remember, they are doing the tour, so they are pressed fo time). You send real money, original check bounces, same old story..

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yep...

This is a scam. A play on the Nigerian thing. Hoping to get the hopes up of a few starving photographers. There are few on the wedding board that fell for it.
If you don't meet the bride and groom in person, no quickie weddings with wire to your bank info - no sir!