• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More from Morocco

Clayton Lofgren

Belksiri82.jpg

Love the first. The open, trusting expression on her face is both timeless and priceless. Children have looked at adults with that same trust for generations. You have captured it well.

Did you look specifically for frizzy-haired children or are they ubiquitous?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Clayton,

These kids are precious and you have captured great expressions. And yes, Charles, that's how their hair is!

The first portrait is spellbinding. Yes you could have gotten the top of her hair. For sure you might have included her more of her hand, but so what, you have scored with this and I love it. Impressive.

Looking at all 4 images, it seems to me that we frame to harshly and that is the fault of all the seminars, gurus and professionals who say frame close and crop even closer.

Not necessarily valid.

Get the shot, the whole shot. If in doubt, step back and you will have a little more!

You never know if you might want more of a shadow that you hadn't realized was there.

Here the little girls feet are cut off as I have done in this situation.

Did you bring beads or other gifts or leave some money? How did you react with them? What is the first girl holding and are those potatoes in picture #2?

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

These were taken near Bel Ksiri, not far from Meknes. Everything I posted earlier was from around Ouezzane. I work on a seismograph crew, so I tend to spend a good bit of time in one area, but seldom in places amenable to tourism. I spent two six week hitches near Ouezzane, and that would be my choice if I was to return on a photo safari. Of course spending complete hitches in one area means that I know nothing about other areas that may be better.
I have not needed to resort to bribery to get pictures of kids, but do like the idea of carrying a portable printer. That might make it posible to get some family pictures, and maybe some of the weatherbeaten farm ladies. As a general rule it is tough to get pictures of the ladies, but a female photographer should have better luck.
I have the habit of cropping a bit tighter than needed, and it is hard to break. I am concentrating on the expresions, and when I see something I like I fire away without paying attention to other points. I now have the LCD on the f30 damaged to where I can only see about half of it, and few of the settings, so some of the cropping is guesswork.
No idea what the girl in the first picture is holding- the other one has a hand full of stones. Most of these kids are thrilled just to see themselves on the LCD. I have been hugged and kissed by some embarasingly big boys after showing them their picture.

Asher Kelman

I'm more and more impressed with these photographs. I didn't realize they were take with the Fuji F30. I really love them and you can be proud of your work.

Yes the framing is tight, but that;s the fault of religious teaching which to me is rather short sighted as in all artitistic work, the process is best done by reassessing the effect during the entire process.

Why on earth they old timers came out with the "rules" to frame tight escapes me. Unless one is exceptionally certain of one's whole work process and has observed the scene with adequate reflection, I think adding to the frame can save heartache later.

Here, however, your pictures get a pump of extraq naturaless and sponteneity from the framing. It works!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Love the captures

Clayton,

Thanks for responding. I love the expressions on the girls faces. I am sure we will not be anywhere near where you are - we have arranged a few treks into the souks and to see some goats that climb trees in Taroudant and of course a visit to the big Mosque. I love shooting images of people and especially the children as you have done.

Asher Kelman

these are very good pics! My question is what inspired you?

Mindy,

What did the pictures do to you?

I was surprised by my reaction today. The first picture of the girl with frizzy hair startled me today as it is so good. This young child staring at me, looking so lifelike from a window in my MacBook Pro, moved me.

I am so impressed by this work.

Asher