• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Learning to ride a bike again

Mike Shimwell

I have been developing some B&W film and thought I'd share an early samlpe or two. I've some way to go(!) but am becoming encouraged by the results I'm starting to get in terms of look. Both shot with the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5

On HP5 at 1600asa developed by standing in 300ml 1 to 60 rodinal for 1 hour 40 minutes

2967922684_041e7ae67a_o.jpg

On FP4 at 125asa developed in ID11 1+1

2967923316_822d675606_o.jpg

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Galli

Both lovely and with good values. I fear I've lost patience with 35mm film. My smallest possible film is now 2 1/4 square. I think I may have a bunch of 35mm B/W film yet in the fridge. Maybe this weekend I'll gather it up and post it here in the classifieds. Anyways bravo. Nicely done. You'll have to explain to a whole new generation what grain is.

Fun to see, makes me want to try some film again! The difference between the two is quite large, even considered the ASA 125 to 1600 difference.

The first one draws my attention as I would guess the leaves in focus could have some more detail in them. My limited experience is only with some T3200 and BW400 but as I recall it was able to capture quite a bit of detail in the in-focus area's. What kind of film did you use and how did you scan?

Thanks for sharing ..

Martin

Mike Shimwell

Jim, Thanks for your kind comment. I've commented on medium format in the other film thread, and suspect that you're right. But I am thoroughly enjoying shooting 35mm at the moment and can't yet afford mf without selling something else.

You're right about the grain of course - my children haven't seen it before, but even FP4 has obvious grain at 18 by 12. Another below in this oddessey.

Martin, thanks also. The leaves were shot with HP5, pushed to 1600. There is more detail in the leaves than you can see on the web shot, but you are right that there could be a bit more even at that speed. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the film looked at that speed developer combo, but it still needs enough exposure. I developed 4 rolls the other day, I'm trying to find time to have a proper look through them.

Mike.

Mike Shimwell

Another step on the path

Another film shot, this time on my way home at a place I've intended to stop at for a while. FP4, rodinal. It's taken me a little while to get the tones anything like for printing this (scan and print) - I think a combination of a new printer and relearning film, but new to scanning!

C&C appreciated.

Mike

3006056773_180c1e8012_o.jpg

Jim Galli

Another film shot, this time on my way home at a place I've intended to stop at for a while. FP4, rodinal. It's taken me a little while to get the tones anything like for printing this (scan and print) - I think a combination of a new printer and relearning film, but new to scanning!

C&C appreciated.

Mike

3006056773_180c1e8012_o.jpg

REally nice Mike. The reflection from the road really makes it sing.

Mike Shimwell

Asher

Thanks. The scan was on a Nikon 5000 using the standard holder - unfortunately it needs replacing with the cheap one as it allows film curl to oput the edges out of focus... Just a bit of levels and masked curves for dodge and burn and it makes a nice print.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

And sanother that I've just scanned, spotted and leveled - nothing else - from the previous roll. This really pleases me, though it was shot as a snap as I walked past:)

C&C&insight please

Mike

3027683542_b67aaf36a3_o.jpg

Nigel Allan

And sanother that I've just scanned, spotted and leveled - nothing else - from the previous roll. This really pleases me, though it was shot as a snap as I walked past:)

C&C&insight please

Mike

3027683542_b67aaf36a3_o.jpg

You know, looking at these and Cedric's work, I am getting excited about film again. The image quality is so much better than digital, I had forgotten...if only I can get a decent scanner I might very well start. Of course digital is very convenient, but for those special shots I'm thinking digital is a bit of a blunt instrument

fahim mohammed

Well Mike, I can almost smell the chemicals. #1 and #3 sing for me. #3 specially. #1 does display
the sonnar 1.5..no? Where did you measure the light in #3?

Best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been developing some B&W film and thought I'd share an early samlpe or two. I've some way to go(!) but am becoming encouraged by the results I'm starting to get in terms of look. Both shot with the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5

On HP5 at 1600asa developed by standing in 300ml 1 to 60 rodinal for 1 hour 40 minutes

2967922684_041e7ae67a_o.jpg

I really like the surprise of the one bright leaf!

Now where did you get the prolonged developing in dilute Rodinol? Is that jim Galli's insane practice?

On FP4 at 125asa developed in ID11 1+1

2967923316_822d675606_o.jpg

Mike

and what is 1D 11?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Well Mike, I can almost smell the chemicals. #1 and #3 sing for me. #3 specially. #1 does display
the sonnar 1.5..no? Where did you measure the light in #3?

Best.

Hi Fahim

Yes, 1 is with the Sonnar - lovely lens, though HP5 in Rodinal isn't may favourite combination (stand developing and pushing a bit helps).

I can't actually remember where I metered 3, but I suspect htat I took a scene reading and under exposed relatiev to that by about 1/2 a stop. Now I would give it a bit more exposure and use a compensating developer to hold the sky a bit. The print required quite a lot of dodging and burning to get the road right.

Cheers

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

Stand development is quite well established - if you search using google you'll find lots, or rangefinder forum has a few historic threads and recently Stephen Schaub did a couple of audio blogs. The idea is to get a very strong compensating effect by using very dilute developer that exhausts in the highlights before the shadows are fully developed. Used with Rodinal you also get high acutance and grain. It is also possible to use Xtol or a mixture of Xtol and Rodinal with added borax - I've not tried that.

I've recently switched to Xtol which gives less obvious grain than Rodinal, but still gives nice sharp negs. It's also a cheap developer and I mix up a 5 litre pack to 2 litres and dilute accordingly.

As Bart said, ID11 is Ilford D76.

Mike