• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Failure to record Images on SD card in Sony A7r !! No card detected!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When I first used the A7r everything worked as expected. Then for one test shoot, the images were not showing up on the card on my Macbook Pro. However, Capture One found them all. After that episode, all images were saved normally and popped up in the finder on my computer. Then I used the camera for scenics riverscapes. That was a disaster!!

To my astonishment, after I reviewed bird pictures taken with the Canon 5D III, I went to review the scenics with reflections of mangroves, shrubs and palms in the river, to find them all missing!

When I switched on the camera a message came up "no card detected" or words to that effect. But if the card is removed, then it just has a message in the lower right in red, "No Card".

Some previous test images taken in the early morning were there, but none from the trip!!

When I took the SD card out and just replaced it, it was recognized and the camera worked flawlessly!

The card was a Sandisk Extreme, 45MB/sec. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Asher
I always format cards when I switch from a camera brand to another with the same card…
Never had that kind of problem.

PS I always format my cards before I use them, but only when files are properly backed-up (once on computer + once on external HD, a rule I NEVER bypass.)

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher
I always format cards when I switch from a camera brand to another with the same card…
Never had that kind of problem.

PS I always format my cards before I use them, but only when files are properly backed-up (once on computer + once on external HD, a rule I NEVER bypass.)

Me too Nicolas! I've never had this problem ever before. I'm going to try data recovery to see if the files are there in some hidden directory.

Thanks goodness I took a few riverscape pictures with the 70-200 on the 5DIII but needs stitching and that's what I thought to leave behind me with the Sony A7r's larger files.

So I have to be even more careful. I now check that the camera is recording after every few shots. I will but new cards devoted only to the Sony camera and see if it happens again.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
If it happens again with that card I'd chuck it. Heck I'd have already chucked it. I've never seen or heard of this problem with the A7r. I have a feeling it's card based. Good luck!

Since you have a SanDisk Extreme card, it should have come with a free download of RescuePRO recovery software. Check your packaging, there is usually a small coupon inside with a license key for the softeare, and a URL to download it from.

Asher Kelman

Michael
Since you have a SanDisk Extreme card, it should have come with a free download of RescuePRO recovery software. Check your packaging, there is usually a small coupon inside with a license key for the softeare, and a URL to download it from.
Michael,

Your answer is spot on and important!

I have a whole battery of recovery programs. I am now moving to use duplicate recording where I have two SD slots as I had one card that I simply could t recover!

Asher