• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Butterflies in the wild or in an ecological teaching center

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Two images from the Butterfly Conservatory.

9417864699_91ef8cfb3f_o.jpg

9420629956_0ec92297fa_o.jpg

Links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshalle/9417864699/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshalle/9420629956

These are superb! I love butterflies and it's so amazing that these delicate insects often have such a brief lifespan.

I like the camouflage!

Asher

Notice, Marshall that I reworked the syntax of your post. The URL has to end in either .jpg or .png.

Very bright and colorful shots! Butterflies are quite beautiful, but certainly present a great challenge to photograph!

Regarding your request for Critique:

The first shot is the strongest to my eye - wonderful natural colors, crisp detail, pleasing composition. The second is weakened to some extent by the moth itself being a bit 'tattered,' and with the narrow depth of field limiting sharpness in places. I would love to see greater detail in the beautiful antennae of this moth (lunar moth, I guess?), which I find so fascinating to see.

Thanks for posting!

Don, thank you for the input. I agree. Luckily I have the chance to visit this location as the opportunity arises and can hope to get some better viewing angles.

Glad that was of help.

Butterflies are definitely challenging - you need both small apertures to get adequate depth of field, which reduces the light for exposure, and fast shutter speeds due to their movement, further lowering the amount of light.

Use of higher ISO, or Flash, can often be helpful.

Have fun!

Asher Kelman

I think it's time to add to this beautiful start.

After a trip in a flat bottomed boat in the mangroves in a small tide pool of fresh water leading to an estuary by to the Pacific Ocean, this butterfly caught my eye!

_49A4845.jpg

Asher Kelman: Black and Red Vistior

Can you name this beautiful butterfly? :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

80626414.jpg

Tom Robbins: Great Spangled Fritillary on thistle, June 2007.

Lost Mound Nature Preserve, Canon 1DMKII and 600mm f/4.

Tom

Tom,

I wanted to bring back this and the images that follow as these are beautiful and represent a great part of photography. I am amazed that we are built to find these forms of life beautiful. Perhaps, doing so, we are destined, after all to have a vested interest and in the end, protect what we find so wonderful!

I hope so! Anyway, here is a reminder!

Asher