• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

History of violence

agressionprinta4ft1.jpg

Oups, i had posted a wrong version first time, i modified it...
This one is darker and offers stronger contrast.

Thank you Asher, i didn't notice this detail but it's true there's a kind of crucifix on the left.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting observation too Nill!

Doesn't this show something of the commonality of a scene that a photographer chooses that he/she feels is important to photograph like this. I cannot imagine that the crucifixion and the stringing up of people on lamposts is not seared into the minds of educated people and for sure Parisians who are Catholic by background values and culture and suffered from the Nazi occupation just ~70 years ago!

Even though many photographers are convinced that photography has some instinct of creativity, I believe that there is much more. In the active part of the brain to which we are have little access, (or else we'd be overloaded with information and millions of decisions per second) I bet Cedric made many choices based on a library of knowledge and values which are mostly ours too.

This photograph merely externalized all that in one engraved summary in two dimensions. That's why we "get it". I picked up the crucifix and you, Nill saw the hanging corpses. no doubt there are other ideas that buttressed Cedric's need to photgraph this scene in this way!

Anyway, that's what I believe. The difficulty in expressive photography is to photograph not ewhat is there but what is not there. This is what has happened in this simple grab shot.

Here we have the joining together of art and basic needs. The latter is to process instantly myriads of external clues. We select and weigh of significance and relevance to us, our needs and our safety. That's how we negotiate every second of our lives. Artists and writers just manage to tap tap this!

Some even with the best cameras allow the camera and even perfect technic to take the picture and earn good livings. In expressive photography, however, we sample life to associate what we can see with what we might feel is inferred from that.

I'm impressed. After all we could have said this is an awful picture. It's at an angle, the lamp is not clearly shown and we can only just make out the exhibition poster. This would hardly work for most all commercial purposes. However, to me, at least, this is a worthy picture that has a lot of meaning written into it!

Domage! Il fera fair plusier images le prochain fois, mon ami!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

I really like the shot on many levels
first it has a sort of story to tell in an almost delicate but not to delicate a way-the color is foreboding and captured well within the sublime message
though maybe the artists didnt see at first
the cross of mankind* would be what I see as the message behind this shot-
very interesting-

Charlotte